Welcome to one of the easiest – and tastiest – breakfasts you can make.
Split an avocado, crack in an egg and toss it in the oven. Top with whatever you like – I prefer green onions, cilantro & a little diced jalapeno with a squirt of sriracha – but it’s all good!
This recipe makes a fantastic brunch dish since they only take a few minutes to throw together. I haven’t tried this but wouldn’t a little cooked & crumbled mexican chorizo in the bottom of the avocado hole (before you put in the egg) be divine?? Or any other meat or veggie you might want to throw in there. Just be sure to carve enough of the avocado out to fit everything. The point is that the variations on this dish are endless!
- 2 avocados
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 lime
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- assorted toppings of your choice
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Split avocados in half and remove the pit. Gently scoop out some of the pulp to make the hole bigger (I do about two spoonfuls) to make more room for the egg.
- Place avocado halves on a baking sheet, using the side of the pan to help hold them up and stabilize them. Drizzle each with a little lime and season with kosher salt and a little freshly ground black pepper. Crack an egg in each hole, allowing some of the whites to run out (just make sure the yolk stays put).
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until whites are set and yolk is at desired consistency. Top with whatever you like or just enjoy as-is!