This is the Best Turkey Burger Recipe! Make juicy, healthy turkey burgers that everyone will love using a few simple tips and tricks.
It seems everyone is trying to eat healthier these days, and I’m no exception. But it can be tough when everywhere you go – restaurants, holiday and office parties, even your own refrigerator are filled with choices that aren’t as healthy as they could be. I don’t know about you, but my weakness is a nice, juicy burger with all the toppings – I just can’t resist it! Luckily, I’ve found a way to serve a healthy meal AND satisfy my burger cravings by creating the best turkey burger recipe!
The best turkey burger recipe starts with the well-known trick of using turkey meat instead of ground beef, but then I take it a step further. I choose a few of my favorite vegetables – like the red bell peppers, onions and poblano peppers I use for this recipe – and run them through a blender or food processor until very fine before mixing them with the meat. Combining these ingredients creates great flavor and keeps the burgers really moist – all while adding a few servings of vegetables to help fill me up. But the best turkey burger recipe is flexible, too – you could use any number of vegetables for this, simply choose your favorites and run with it! Before forming the patties, I like to add a little something extra to really make the flavor pop, such as a blue cheese, crumbled bacon or a few tablespoons of a favorite salad dressing. It takes my healthy twist on a classic burger to the next level and really does make this the best turkey burger recipe you’ll ever make.
The last step in the best turkey burger recipe – after you’ve cooked them by throwing them on the grill or in a pan, of course – is adding some killer toppings. I love the typical sliced tomato and crunchy lettuce, but it’s also tasty to caramelize a few sweet onions or add a little more of whatever ingredient I put inside my burger, too. I try to keep things as healthy as possible and since the turkey burgers are so moist and juicy already they really don’t need much more. I love to serve them with sugar snap peas and fresh fruit on the side – makes for a tasty, healthy meal. You’ll think you’re in the best burger joint around with just one bite!
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium poblano pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1/4 large red onion, halved
- 1½ pounds ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/3 cup of your favorite cheese or dressing (Hidden Valley's Fiesta Salsa Ranch Dressing is really good)
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for grill pan
- 6 hamburger buns
- 3 tablespoons butter, for toasting buns
- Lettuce, tomato, onions and other assorted toppings
- Place peppers and onion (or any veggies you like) into the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until finely chopped. Place into a medium mixing bowl, with turkey meat, cumin, dressing or cheese and salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly with hands until just blended, taking care not to overmix.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat until very hot. Divide turkey mixture into six equal patties. Drizzle pan with olive oil and place each patty onto hot pan. Cook until browned on both sides and cooked completely through, about 8-10 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Butter both sides of each bun and place under broiler until golden brown. Top each bun with a burger and desired toppings. Serve with sugar snap peas and fresh blueberries for a quick and easy weeknight meal.