This easy Broiled Salmon recipe has just five ingredients, is on the table in less than 15 minutes and has incredible flavor!
Broiled Salmon is one of those quick and easy recipes that I forget about all too often. I haven’t been cooking as much fish in general these days although it used to be an at-least-once-a-week staple. I cook fairly healthy most of the time but lately it’s been all this Cheesy Baked Gnocchi and Carrot Cake! All good things that I will most certainly enjoy again…but for now, it’s a delicious and healthy fish dish.
This broiled salmon recipe came about when I was picking some Lemon Thyme from my herb garden. Have you ever smelled Lemon Thyme?? It has such a strong lemon scent, I just can’t help but stick my entire face into my plant and breathe it in. If they sold a Lemon Thyme perfume I would most definitely wear it! I haven’t cooked much with it over the summer though and felt I needed to use some before it freezes and I lose all of my fresh backyard herbs. Lemon goes so well with fish, garlic goes with everything and honey was the obvious choice to go with both.
Isn’t it a pretty plant??
I normally roast or grill my fish but I wanted some direct heat over the top to help the honey caramelize quickly. The mixture will melt and drip away from the salmon but that’s okay; a good amount will stick and what doesn’t you’ll just spoon back on once it’s done. It will thicken back up after just a couple of minutes out of the oven so I spoon it back over the fish twice; once immediately out of the oven and again 3 minutes or so later. If you keep your oven door closed while broiling it really helps to cook the fish quickly, too. I love that this easy broiled salmon comes together in just 10 minutes!
I like to mix everything in one measuring cup. I measure out the honey, add the lemon thyme leaves, a couple of tablespoons of oil and lots of garlic, then mix it all together in the measuring cup. Ten minutes later (give or take), dinner is done!
- 1 2-pound salmon filet
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon thyme leaves (plus more sprigs for garnish)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat broiler to high, setting your top rack 5-6 inches under the heat source.
- Place salmon on a baking sheet lined with foil. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil then season liberally with salt and freshly ground black pepper (go heavy on the pepper if you like).
- Place on rack under preheated broiler for five minutes (keep door closed).
- Meanwhile, mix together minced garlic, honey, thyme leaves and 2 tablespoons oil.
- Remove salmon from oven and drizzle honey mixture over salmon, using a heatproof brush to spread over entire salmon. Place back in oven for another 5-10 minutes or until salmon is cooked through (cooking time depends on the thickness of your salmon).
- Remove from oven and spoon over any melted honey mixture back onto salmon. As it cools, the honey mixture will thicken so continue spooning over at least once or twice during the first five minutes it's out of the oven. Slice into four servings and serve with a few lemon thyme sprigs on each piece.