It’s a cloudy, gray day here, and it was 32 degrees this morning. Tomorrow I leave for Morocco for a new travel assignment, and it’s going to be almost 90! Yet even the thought of that hot weather hasn’t warmed me up enough to keep me away from something warm on my stove today. I had a craving for a hot, delicious soup but also needed something quick since I’m busy packing, doing laundry and running last minute errands before I leave town tomorrow. This soup was so perfect!
And can I just say (not to toot my own horn here or anything) that this is one of the best soups I’ve ever made? It’s very thick with great flavor (you could skip the chorizo and jalapenos and it would still be really tasty) and comes together quickly. The chorizo and jalapenos take it from a good soup to something really amazing and not easy to forget! The best part is that you could make this for a crowd and let your guests top their own soup, pleasing everyone on both sides of the spice-loving scale.
A few tips:
Leave the seeds in the jalapenos as roasting takes away much of their bite. If you still find they’re too spicy, remove the seeds and just dice up the flesh.
If the soup is too thick for your taste, simply alternate adding ½ cup chicken broth and ½ cup milk until you reach the desired consistency. If you go too far and the soup becomes too thin, just simmer away on the stove until it thickens again.
Don’t like or can’t find Mexican Chorizo? Fry up some bacon and use that instead. It won’t be quite the same, but it is bacon after all!
Creamy Potato Cheese Soup with Mexican Chorizo & Roasted Jalapenos
- 2 T butter
- ⅓ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 packages Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes With Onion
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- 1 – 2 t kosher salt (to taste)
- 6 jalapenos
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 pound Mexican chorizo, casings removed
- Heat stockpot over medium heat. Add butter and, when melted, add diced onions and garlic. Saute for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion to pot along with chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- While potatoes are simmering, make the toppings. Preheat oven to 425F. Toss jalapenos with 1 T olive oil and place on sheet pan. Roast for 10 minutes, set aside and allow to cool. Once cool, dice jalapenos and set aside for topping.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add chorizo. Cook chorizo until browned, about 10-15 minutes. Set aside on paper towels to drain off oil.
Place potato mixture into blender (in batches if necessary) and puree until very smooth. (You can also use a food processor or immersion blender; I have found that my blender works best for this recipe).
- Place smooth potato mixture back into stockpot. Stir in milk until smooth. Season with kosher salt to taste, then stir in shredded cheese until melted and smooth.
- Serve hot soup in bowls topped with chorizo and roasted jalapenos.