This simple yet delicious Dorito Taco Casserole is a weeknight family favorite!
This post is all about my girls.
Katie, 10 and Kylie, 12, cooked this Dorito Taco Casserole entirely themselves. And Kylie took all the photos! AND she styled it all.
I participated in the eating of the dinner, however. 😂
Both girls took turns adding, stirring, assembling. Dorito Taco Casserole is one of their favorites (who doesn’t love Doritos, which are basically just tortilla chips with a little added flavoring sprinkled on?). We all consider it a treat but I love that it has black beans and corn to help redeem its nutritional worth. I load mine up with fresh tomatoes and avocado, too. SO GOOD!
After the casserole was fully baked and ready to serve, Kylie wanted to shoot some pics. I gave her full autonomy for styling; I simply reminded her what was available to her but she did EVERYTHING. I think she had a blast and did a fantastic job! Of course, Dorito Taco Casserole has a nice contrast of colors but that just made it more fun for her to shoot. I shared this behind-the-scenes shot of her doing her Dorito Taco Casserole thing!
Dorito Taco Casserole is the perfect meal for a family taco night. Simply make your usual “taco beef” with ground beef and a packet of taco seasoning, then add the other ingredients to “beef things up” (haha, couldn’t resist) and make it a full meal. I love to add black beans and corn but sometimes I’ll even chop up a poblano pepper or slice a few jalapeños for the toppings. Green salsa is my family’s favorite but use any salsa your family loves! The leftovers are delicious reheated so plan to take some to work or school if you have any extras.
This easy Dorito Taco Casserole is a great choice for family taco night! It comes together quickly plus the beans and corn add a little healthy goodness.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 packet original taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomatillo salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- 4 cups crushed Doritos
- 2 cups shredded mexican-blend cheese
- chopped cilantro, halved cherry tomatoes, diced jalapeños, sour cream, sliced avocado
- Preheat oven to 375F and spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Brown ground beef over medium heat until almost no pink remains. Add chopped onions; saute 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add taco seasoning and water, stirring well. Cook for a couple of minutes until slightly thickened. Add salsa and sour cream; stir well. Add black beans and corn; stir well and remove from heat.
- Place half of crushed Doritos into bottom of baking dish, taking care to completely cover the bottom. Add half of taco mixture, then top with 1 cup of the cheese. Repeat with remaining Doritos, taco mixture then ending with cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbling and cheese is melted and starting to brown. Remove from oven and top with desired toppings. Serve immediately with extra salsa and sour cream on the side.