This is a reconstructed version of a goat cheese appetizer I make often; normally the cheese is sliced, sprinkled with the other ingredients then drizzled with plenty of high-quality extra-virgin olive oil. But I wanted the green herbs to be the highlight so I simply mixed the other ingredients with the goat cheese, shaped it into balls and rolled in the finely chopped herbs. Delicious!
This appetizer is wonderful made ahead of time and would be perfect for the holidays!
Mini Goat Cheese Balls
- 1 10-oz log goat cheese
- 1/4 cup finely diced sun-dried tomatoes (from a jar packed in oil, keep the oil on the tomatoes, no need to rinse or wipe off)
- 2 T capers
- 1 t lemon zest
- 1 T fresh rosemary, very finely chopped
- 1 T fresh thyme, very finely chopped
- 1/2 c parsley, very finely chopped
- crostini or crackers, for serving
Mix together goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, capers and lemon zest. Form into balls, place on sheet pan, cover and chill for at least one hour (can be made ahead at this point up to one day).
Mix together rosemary, thyme and parsley; roll cheese balls until thoroughly covered. Serve on platter with crostini and/or crackers.