This Peach Cobbler Recipe has just enough sweetness without taking away the flavor of the summer fruit. A crunchy top makes it the best peach cobbler you’ve had!
Let’s see, so far this week we’ve enjoyed a fantastic chopped salad recipe with shrimp, a comforting loaded potato soup and a smoky corn and tomato au gratin. I believe a nice summer dessert should go next on our menu and this peach cobbler recipe is just the dish.
Although peaches aren’t included in the abundant summer produce that my folks are supplying me, I still seem to have more than I can use. How can you bypass the peach stands with all those fresh summer peaches just begging to be turned into something extraordinary? Or even just eaten out of hand because it’s summer and that’s what summer is all about? One of my favorite memories as a kid was when my mom would come home from the store each week with a huge case of fresh peaches. My friend Mary, who lived just up the road, would ride her bike over as fast as she could. We would sit on my back steps and eat peach after peach after peach. Man, what I wouldn’t give for a warm summer afternoon where I had nothing more important to do than eat as many peaches as I felt like :)
So here I am with all these peaches that I can’t seem to stop buying and I just can’t eat them all myself. Which is where this peach cobbler recipe comes in. It uses half a dozen peaches and turns them into a warm, soft & sweet dessert with a crunchy topping that’s perfect for vanilla ice cream. Or without vanilla ice cream. Or maybe even just a drizzle of cream. The raspberries go so well with the peaches – raspberries are hands-down my favorite berry – and their contrasting colors make this peach cobbler recipe something pretty. I added a few pecans to the topping, too, although you could easily substitute walnuts or almonds or just skip the nuts altogether.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- large pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 16 cubes
- 6 peaches, peeled and sliced into thick wedges (6-8 slices per peach)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pints fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon, salt and pecans. Add butter and, using your fingers, "pinch" butter into mixture until butter is the size of peas.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together peaches, lemon zest and juice, cornstarch and vanilla. Gently stir in raspberries.
- Place peach mixture in an 11x7 baking dish lightly greased with cooking spray. Sprinkle topping over peach mixture in pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown and cobbler is hot and bubbling. Serve immediately or at room temperature, preferably with vanilla ice cream.