It seems everyone is trying to eat healthier these days, and I’m no exception. But it can be tough when everywhere you go – restaurants, holiday and office parties, even your own refrigerator – is filled with choices that aren’t as healthy as they could be. I don’t know about you, but my weakness is a nice, juicy burger with all the toppings – I just can’t resist it! Luckily, I’ve found a way to serve a healthy meal AND satisfy my burger craving.
I start with the well-known trick of using turkey meat instead of ground beef, but then I take it a step further. I choose a few of my favorite vegetables – like the red bell peppers, onions and poblano peppers I use for this recipe – and run them through a blender or food processor until very fine before mixing them with the meat. Combining these ingredients creates great flavor and keeps the burgers really moist – all while adding a few servings of vegetables to help fill me up. Before forming the patties, I like to add a little something extra to really make the flavor pop, such as Hidden Valley® Fiesta Salsa Ranch Dressing. This not-too-spicy dressing takes my healthy twist on a classic burger to the next level!
After cooking my veggie turkey burgers, the last step to really round things out is adding some toppings. I love the typical sliced tomato and crunchy lettuce, but it’s also tasty to caramelize a few sweet onions and top the burgers with more of that delicious Hidden Valley® Fiesta Salsa Ranch Dressing. I’ll even put some of the dressing in a small cup on the side and use it to dip vegetables instead of French fries (sugar snap peas are my favorite). Trust me, you’ll think you’re in the best burger joint around with just one bite!
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium poblano pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1/4 large red onion, halved
- 1½ pounds ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/3 cup Hidden Valley® Fiesta Salsa Ranch Dressing
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for grill pan
- 6 hamburger buns
- 3 tablespoons butter, for toasting buns
- Lettuce, tomato, onions and additional Hidden Valley® Fiesta Salsa Ranch Dressing, for garnish
- Place peppers and onion (or any veggies you like) into the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until finely chopped. Place into a medium mixing bowl, with turkey meat, cumin, dressing, and salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly with hands until just blended, taking care not to overmix.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat until very hot. Divide turkey mixture into six equal patties. Drizzle pan with olive oil and place each patty onto hot pan. Cook until browned on both sides and cooked completely through, about 8-10 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Butter both sides of each bun and place under broiler until golden brown. Top each bun with a burger and desired toppings. Serve with sugar snap peas and fresh blueberries for a quick and easy weeknight meal.