I’ll never forget the first time I tried a Gyro, a greek sandwich that’s traditionally made with lamb and topped with onion, tomato and a creamy yogurt sauce, and served in soft pita bread. It was a completely different flavor from any food I’d ever tried. That may have been the moment when my love affair with great food actually began.
I found this quick and easy version through the new Dinner Decider app I’ve been using. It makes all of my dinner decisions for me, all I had to do was put in my food preferences when I first joined, and voila! No more time spent trying to figure out what to make for dinner! I was really excited to try this recipe in particular, given my fondness for Gyros and all things Greek. I did make a few changes to the recipe. For example, I used ribeye steaks instead of flank. Flank steak would be a great choice but when a better cut is on sale I’ll almost always choose it. I marinated the steaks whole and added 2 cloves of garlic and the juice of a lemon to the marinade. Add a quick salad on the side and dinner is served!
Flank Steak Gyros
- 1 pound flank steak
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill (can use dried), chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 6-inch pita pockets
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cut the flank steak into thin strips against the grain. (To make slicing easier, place the meat in the freezer for about 10 minutes and then slice it). Prop open a large ziptop bag and add the olive oil, oregano and salt and pepper and mix well. Add the meat slices to the bag and turn to coat. Place in the refrigerator and let marinate 2 hours or up to all day. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- In a small bowl mix together the yogurt, dill, garlic and lemon juice and set aside.
- Spritz the pitas with a little water, wrap in foil and place in the oven to warm.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove meat from bag and discard marinade. Add meat slices to pan and saute until brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Saute the onion until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Return the meat and any juices to the skillet and stir until heated.
- Arrange the pita bread on plates and top with the cucumber rounds and the beef mixture. Spoon some yogurt sauce over the meat and top with feta. Fold the gyros in half and serve.
Cucumber, tomato and feta salad
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Calories 592; Protein 34g; Total Fat 31g; Fiber 3g; Saturated Fat 7g; Carbohydrates 45g; Cholesterol 47mg; Sodium 504mg; Weight Watchers Points 13