This baked Chicken Caprese recipe is a go-to for a healthy, quick weeknight meal.
This is an easy dish that I’ve made often over the years. It’s so simple, it looks pretty and my kids love it!
I use fresh basil when I have it, or I’ll use basil pesto during the colder months when I’m without my herb garden. Sometimes I’ve even used both! The flavor of fresh basil is wonderful but pesto adds some moisture and a nice garlic flavor, too.
Don’t worry if you think that stuffing chicken breasts is difficult – it’s not! Just make a “pocket” in each breast by slicing about 3/4 of the way through, then add the ingredients. Using toothpicks to hold the chicken closed helps, too.
You can also try the Hasselback method for stuffing chicken breasts. There are also some delicious stuffing ideas for you, too!
What is Chicken Caprese?
Chicken Caprese takes the traditional Caprese salad of sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil and combines it with chicken to make a hearty main dish. The “salad” is stuffed into a chicken breast, then baked until it’s the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
What can you serve with baked Caprese Chicken?
How long do you cook stuffed chicken breasts?
Depending on the size of your chicken breasts, it can take anywhere from 15-25 minutes. It’s a good idea to sear them first, which adds flavor and color to the chicken, as well as cutting down on baking time. This step is easy if you use an oven-safe skillet.
This baked Chicken Caprese recipe is seared first, so just follow the directions in the recipe.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 small or 1 large tomato, sliced
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut a pocket into each chicken breast, about 3/4 quarter of the way through, taking care not to cut all the way through.
- Place 2 slices fresh tomato, 2 small slices of fresh mozzarella and 4-5 basil leaves into each pocket. Secure each with a few toothpicks.
- Place the stuffed breasts on a sheet pan and drizzle with the oil. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, coarse salt, and pepper on the top of each stuffed chicken breast.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 342Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 890mgCarbohydrates: 3gNet Carbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 45g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.