Crispy Baked Asian Chicken Drumsticks – an easy meal! Crispy chicken drumsticks are tossed with a killer 5-minute asian sauce – incredibly delicious.
Crispy chicken. It always seems so elusive unless you stick it in the frying pan with gobs of oil. But it’s really quite simple if you know a trick or two – the most important being heat. High heat coupled with oil. Just like frying…only not.
I adore this asian drumsticks recipe. It’s ALWAYS what I make when chicken drumsticks are on sale. This recipe is SO EASY and the baked chicken drumsticks are SO CRISPY fresh out of the oven or air fryer that it was worth the small amount of extra time.
Asian Chicken Drumstick Ingredients
- Garlic cloves
- Cayenne (optional)
- Hoisin sauce
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Vegetable oil (plus more to coat chicken)
- Sriracha or to taste (optional)
- Chicken drumsticks
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Sesame seeds
- Scallions (chopped)
(Scroll down to the bottom for the printable recipe card with exact measurements and recipe instructions.)
How to Make Asian Drumstick Sauce
The sauce takes just 5 minutes to make. Simply mix all the ingredients in a bowl and stir well. That’s it!
The sauce is on the sweet side but you can add more spice by adding more Sriracha. I add more…a lot more! But I’m a heat fiend and I know that most people like more of a balance. If serving a crowd, just keep the Sriracha bottle close by so fiends like me can easily get their hands on it.
How to Bake Asian Drumsticks
Baking drumsticks is very easy as they are very forgiving, especially when cooked with the bone-in and skin on. The skin helps hold in the moisture and the meat stays tender and juicy.
Simply preheat the oven to 400ºF and place the drumsticks in a baking dish or a cooling rack over a baking sheet. Rub the chicken drumsticks with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until skin is crispy and chicken is cooked through.
You can also use a digital thermometer to check doneness. Insert the thermometer into the middle of the thickest part of the drumstick without touching bone. The chicken should be cooked to 165ºF internally, if not, check again in 3 to 5 minutes.
This could easily be turned into an asian wing appetizer, too! Just sub wings for the drumsticks and leave everything else the same (you’ll want to reduce baking time but that’s the only change. Crispy chicken wings, crispy chicken drumsticks, you could also do baked crispy chicken thighs – whatever you like best!
How to Bake Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
Cooking in an air fryer reduces the time to bake to less than half and makes the same delicious meal that everyone will enjoy.
- Preheat the air fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 400ºF
- Season the Chicken: Rub the chicken drumsticks with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper
- Cook in the Air Fryer: Place chicken drumsticks in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook for 8 minutes and then turn over for an additional 8 minutes. The chicken should be cooked to 165ºF internally, if not, check again in 3 to 5 minutes.
Why You Should Make Chicken Drumsticks
- Easy to make
- Budget Friendly
- Perfect as an appetizer or main dish
- Versatile with many seasonings to choose from
It really couldn’t be easier or quicker to make this easy chicken drumsticks recipe. You can easily double or triple this recipe for a crowd, too!
More Seasoning Ideas for Chicken Drumsticks or Wings
There is so much flexibility with drumsticks and wings. Here are a few more ideas for seasoning your chicken. These recipes are wings but the sauce can applied to wings, drumsticks and even things. Simply follow the baking times for the asian chicken drumsticks.
- Teriyaki Chicken Wings
- Korean Chicken Wings
- How to Bake Chicken Wings
- Spicy Balsamic & Honey Chicken Wings
- Buffalo Wings
We’ve also compiled a list of 50 drumsticks recipes to try.
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (plus more to coat chicken)
- 2 teaspoons sriracha or to taste (optional)
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Sesame seeds
- scallions (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place in a baking dish or a cooling rack over a baking sheet. Arrange chicken on rack. Rub chicken drumsticks with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until skin is crispy and chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, mix sauce ingredients together. Stir well and set aside.
- Remove chicken from oven and place on a serving platter. Pour sauce over chicken to coat, serving any extra sauce on the side. Garnish with green onions (scallions) and sesame seeds.
Use a digital thermometer to temperature. Chicken should be cooked to 165 degrees.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 579Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 231mgSodium: 1128mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 27gProtein: 47g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.