My cousin Britt sent me a message on Facebook a couple of weeks ago:
“Found this on pinterest, thought I'd share, knowing your breakfast obsession.”
Oh, if only my obsession were limited to just breakfast!
The woman does know my tastes, though, and she was right that I would love this recipe. I still had some crepes leftover from my Roasted Veggie Crepe Stacks with Creamy Goat Cheese Sauce and this was a great way to use them up.
It wasn't entirely easy street, though. My crepes didn't “stick to the egg whites like glue” as is described in the original recipe; I had to use toothpicks to get mine to stay in place. Not a deal breaker, though, and I suspect that my crepes were much thicker than her homemade ones, making them more difficult to tame.
The end result was worth it, though. I skipped the ham and opted for a spicy sausage instead which was a nice contrast to the sweet crepe. These would be fun for a brunch where everyone could add their own toppings!
Here's the original recipe for Ham & Egg Crepe Squares. I'm sure salty ham would be great, but here's my version in case you're in the mood for spicy sausage, too!
More delicious breakfast recipes:
- Guacamole Breakfast Stacks
- Baked Strawberry Oatmeal
- Lemon-Ricotta Pancakes with Fresh Raspberries
- Hash Brown Quiche with Asparagus & Swiss
- Overnight Raspberry & Cream Cheese French Toast
Baked Egg Crepes
It's important that your crepes are soft and pliable or they'll break when you fold them. Microwave them for 30 second increments until they fold easily, and form your squares quickly.
- 4 crepes
- 1 package spicy breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 4 eggs
- 3 T finely chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a sheet pan lightly with cooking spray.
- Place crepes separately on sheet pan. Divide breakfast sausage between crepes, piling in the enter and making a small indentation where you'll crack each egg. Crack an egg into each indentation.
- Fold crepe edges inward to make a square. Use toothpicks to secure if necessary.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until eggs are cooked as you like. Move crepes to plates and sprinkle with chopped chives.