Savory sunny side up egg crepes are a fun twist on classic french crepes. Made with runny, golden yolk and soft crepes this dish has a delightful presentation too!
This breakfast crepes recipe is incredibly easy to make and they’re perfect meal for breakfast or brunch, and who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner.
Why You’ll Love Sunny Side Up Egg Crepes
Quick & Easy – I start with pre-cooked ingredients and this easy crepes recipe comes together in just 15 minutes, including bake time.
Versatile – Any combination of meat, cheese and veggies can be added to the crepes. These would be fun for a brunch where everyone could add their own toppings. Kids would enjoy putting their own creations together too.
Visual tasting experience – Same ingredients, different presentation, wow your family and guests with these savory breakfast crepes.
Sunny Side Up Egg Crepes Ingredients
This breakfast dish has just 4-ingredients!
- Crepes: Choose a soft and pliable crepe that will yield to folding easily. Melissa’s Crepes works well as do other brands.
- Breakfast sausage: I used a spicy breakfast sausage but choose any sausage you like.
- Eggs: One large egg for each crepe.
- Shredded Cheese (optional): I’ve made these with and without cheese and loved both ways. I’ve tried cheddar, pepper jack or gruyere and all pair well with the sausage.
- Chives: To garnish.
(Scroll down to the bottom for the printable recipe card with detailed recipe instructions.)
How to Make Sunny Side Up Egg Crepes
Just three simple steps!
Oven Baked Method
- Fill the Crepes: Add the ingredients and make a small indentation in the center and crack an egg into the indentation.
- Fold: Fold the crepe edges inward to make a square. Some crepes that are not soft and pliable may require a toothpick to hold them together.
- Bake: Baked until the eggs are cooked as you like.
Don’t forget to break the egg yolk and let it melt all over the crepe!
The oven baked method is great for making the crepes in batches while the skillet method is the traditional French way of making crepes and is best for one or two crepes.
Simply fill and fold the crepes then transfer the crepe to a buttered skillet over medium heat. Cook for about 3 minutes or until eggs are cooked as you like.
Sunny Side Up Egg Crepes Recipe Ideas
Sunny Side Up Egg Crepes are very versatile and can be filled with all sorts of delicious ingredients. Here are a few ideas:
- Ham, Cheddar Cheese & Diced Onion
- Sausage, Cheddar and Monterey Jack Cheese & Scallions
- Bacon, Gruyere, & Diced Onion
- Shrimp, Broccoli, Mushrooms, Provolone Cheese
- Seasoning: Dash salt and pepper or your favorite seasonings on top.
- Spicy: Add some heat with diced jalapenos, chili peppers or red pepper flakes.
- More Veggies – You can easily add a couple of diced veggies into this dish such as onion, green onions, bell pepper, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, or scallions.
- Cheese Addition – Cheddar cheese, mexican blend cheese, swiss cheese, pepper jack, gruyere, crumbled goat cheese, shredded fontina and crumbled feta are all tasty choices.
- Swap out the Sausage- Any meat substitute will work with this recipe including ham, bacon, canadian bacon, spam, chicken, ground turkey, crab, smoked salmon, shrimp, or even cubed extra firm tofu.
- Gluten-Free – Substitute the crepe with an egg white wrap to make it gluten-free.
- 4 crepes (cooked)
- 1 package spicy breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheese (optional)
- 3 tbs finely chopped chives
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Spray a sheet pan lightly with cooking spray. Place the crepes separately on the pan. Divide the breakfast sausage between crepes, piling it in the center and making a small indentation where you’ll crack each egg. Crack an egg into each indentation.
- Fold the crepe edges inward to make a square. Use toothpicks to secure if necessary.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until eggs are cooked as you like. Move the crepes to serving plates and sprinkle with chopped chives.
- Follow Steps 1-3 above.
- Transfer the filled crepes to a buttered skillet over medium heat. Cook for about 3 minutes or until eggs are cooked as you like.
Break the egg yolk and let it melt all over the crepe!
It’s important that your crepes are soft and pliable or they’ll break when you fold them. Microwave them for 30-second increments until they fold easily, and form your squares quickly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 257mgSodium: 234mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 11g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.
More delicious breakfast recipes: