Black Bean and Kale Soup is so simple and has so much flavor! Great way to eat healthy and hearty without a lot of calories, too.
This post is sponsored by TABASCO.
Kale is one of those greens where you either love it or you hate it. I happen to fall in the “love it” camp, but if you’re in the “no way will I ever eat kale” camp, then this Black Bean and Kale Soup is for you.
I won’t try to convince you to learn to love kale if you simply just don’t. But kale is a food that’s worth fitting into your diet if you can manage it, and this Black Bean and Kale Soup doesn’t taste like there’s kale in it…even though there’s a lot in there! The secret is the spices and the TABASCO Chipotle Pepper Sauce; both add so much flavor that the greens stay in the background.
But this is a Black Bean and Kale Soup which adds another delicious layer of flavor, not to mention that black beans are good for you, too. I make this easy soup all the time since it keeps my waistline where I want it but also gives me energy.
I served this soup to a friend of mine who’d stopped by for dinner. I didn’t tell him there was kale in it since I know he doesn’t care for it. He politely didn’t mention anything but I knew he was likely not enthused about trying it. Once he did, though, he gave an enthusiastic thumbs up and said he couldn’t believe how good it is! He asked what was in it and I said “it’s Black Bean and Kale Soup” with a big smile :) I love winning people over with a dish when they’re certain they won’t enjoy it!
Of course, the TABASCO Chipotle Pepper Sauce really helps make this soup something special. I love its smokey flavor and it has just enough spice where you can still enjoy the flavor without burning your tastebuds. I put this stuff on everything; I’ll even put it by itself on saltines for a quick snack or I’ll mash an avocado and add TABASCO Chipotle Pepper Sauce (or any TABASCO pepper sauce as I love them all) plus salt & pepper.
I’m making this Black Bean and Kale Soup again today because it’s HALLOWEEN (yay!) and I need some healthy goodness before indulging in all that candy this evening. It’s all about balance, right? :)
More delicious soup recipes:
- Wild Mushroom Brie Soup with Parmesan-Pepper Croutons
- Black Bean Soup with Fresh Summer Corn
- Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- Healthy Broccoli Soup
- Lentil Soup Recipe with Parmesan and Smoked Sausage
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 15 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, lightly rinsed and drained (I just do it right in the can and use the lid to drain)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- 2 teaspoons TABASCO Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- juice of half a lime
- 4-5 cups chopped kale
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté one minute. Add cumin and crushed red pepper; sauté one more minute. Add tomatoes, black beans, broth, TABASCO and lime. Stir and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in kale and cilantro. Simmer 10-15 minutes more, ladle into bowls and add desired toppings. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 135 Sodium: 885mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 1g Protein: 7g