This simple blackening seasoning is fantastic on fish, chicken and anything else you can think to put it on. One of my most popular recipes!
Whenever I order salmon in a restaurant, I always – always – ask to have it blackened.
This seems to mean different things at different restaurants – sometimes they simply throw it on the grill grates (which still adds yummy flavor) but what I’m always hoping for is that they rub it with a good blackening seasoning.
Blackening seasoning has an amazing amount of flavor and typically a lot of spice – a combination that is difficult for me to resist.
I love to make a batch of blackening seasoning to keep on hand for an easy weeknight meal. Although I mostly use it with salmon or mahi mahi, I also love it on shrimp and chicken (like this Blackened Shrimp Bowl with Salsa Ranch Quinoa that I made earlier this week).
Just rub it on and prepare your protein as desired. Add a healthy grain and a veggie on the side and you’ve got one heck of a healthy meal!
This simple blackening seasoning recipe makes a great gift, too. I’ve been known to mass-produce small jars of it for Christmas and birthday gifts; I’ll even grab one to take as an extra hostess gift at a party.
Many of my friends make sure to let me know when they’re out so that they never have to go too long without some (I’ve started referring them to the blackening seasoning recipe so they can make it themselves in a pinch).
If you love easy recipes and your Instant Pot, don’t miss my new Instant Pot cookbook!
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, cut in half if you prefer less spicy
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Mix all ingredients together and store in a cool, dry place. Will stay fresh for three months if sealed well.
- To use: coat whatever meat or fish you’re using with extra-virgin olive oil, just enough to coat, then coat liberally with spice mix. Grill, broil, roast or saute as desired.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 27 Sodium: 587mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 2g Protein: 1g