Tender chicken, spicy buffalo sauce and a fried-until-perfectly-crispy shell. These Buffalo Chicken Chimichangas are the ultimate comfort food!
My first go at this recipe was in the form of enchiladas. They tasted great and everyone was happy! An easy dish that comes together quickly and is beautiful to serve. But I felt they still needed something. Turns out that something was a little crunch.
The ingredients are all the same, the only difference is assembly and cooking method – the enchiladas you bake while the chimichangas you fry in hot oil. Both are delicious, it’s really just personal preference. The mini-chimichangas make a great party appetizer, too (I’m making them for the big Super Bowl game this Sunday)!
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded
- 16 8-inch tortillas
- 1 16-ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 1 regular-sized bottle Franks Red Hot Sauce (not the mini size)
- 2-3 cups shredded mexican-blend cheese
- canola oil, for frying
- toppings: blue cheese crumbles, diced celery, sliced green onions, sour cream
- Place shredded chicken in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Mix together enchilada sauce and hot sauce and add enough to thoroughly coat chicken.
- Place small amount of chicken mixture on a flour tortilla. Sprinkle with some cheese and fold up tightly, burrito style. (If making enchiladas, place filled tortillas in a baking dish and pour remaining sauce over enchiladas. Top with more cheese and bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until heated through and bubbling).
- Put enough oil in a large skillet so that it’s at least two inches deep. Heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Fry chimichangas in batches until golden brown on both sides, taking care not to overcrowd the pan (the oil temp will drop if pan is too full). Drain on paper towels.
- Chimichangas can be kept warm in a 200 degree oven for up to 30 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 775Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 1445mgCarbohydrates: 61gNet Carbohydrates: 57gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 44g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.