This addictive cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip is a delicious appetizer that is made with shredded chicken, spicy hot wing sauce, and two kinds of creamy cheeses.
This game-day easy Buffalo Chicken Dip is my favorite. I keep tortilla chips close by because nothing beats their salty crunch with this spicy dip but this way you can have the best of both worlds. It makes a nice presentation for a football party, too.
In any case…you can never, ever go wrong with hot cheese. I can’t stop with just this Buffalo Chicken Dip!
Buffalo Chicken Dip Ingredients
- Shredded or Chopped Chicken (cooked): Rotisserie or leftover chicken works great for this recipe. You can substitute canned chicken, if you prefer.
- Cream cheese: Use the real cream cheese blocks (e.g. Philadelphia) and not spreadable cream cheese.
- Hot sauce: I usually use Frank’s RedHot which really turns up the heat draws out the spicy flavor but use any brand that you prefer.
- Chunky blue cheese dressing: Blue cheese adds creaminess and tang to this dip and cools down the hot sauce. Use ranch if you prefer, I’ve even used this creamy parmesan dressing in a pinch and everyone loved it) if you’d like.
- Crumbled blue cheese (optional): More to sprinkle on top but completely optional.
- Shredded cheddar or Mexican-blend cheese: The shredded cheese adds an extra bit of cheesy, gooey perfection to this dip.
- Kosher salt: The shape of kosher salt gently salts this chicken dip and enhances the flavor.
(Scroll down to the bottom for the printable recipe card with exact measurements and recipe instructions.)
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
The Game Day Party Dip is incredibly simple to make!
- Mix the Ingredients: You’ll need some cooked, shredded chicken to start. If you have leftover chicken, that’s perfect, otherwise just pick up a rotisserie chicken and use the meat from that. Mix it with some buffalo sauce, cream cheese, shredded cheddar and blue cheese or ranch dressing – how can you go wrong?
- Bake: Toss it in the oven until it’s hot and bubbly and serve!
Buffalo Chicken Dip with Skillet Bread
This Buffalo Chicken Dip can be made as a standalone dish or with bread, we included instructions for both. The best thing about the bread version is that the dip can be served in a skillet with freshly baked bread for dipping – baked in that very same skillet. I love it with the bread because it’s softer and just melts in your mouth, too!
Any hot dip would work well with this bread recipe too, especially something creamy and cheesy. You might try one of these:
- Queso Dip with Roasted Hatch Chiles
- Caramelized Onion Dip with Bacon & Gruyere
- Super Easy Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Espinaca Dip
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Dip
What to Serve with Buffalo Chicken Dip
Buffalo Chicken dip is incredibly versatile and like many hot cheese dips there are a lot of choices. I already mentioned the skillet and this dip also goes well with veggie sticks (celery, carrots, cucumbers etc.), tortilla chips, crusty, corn chips, pretzels, pita chips, potato chips and much more.
Make Ahead, Store & Reheat
This dip can be made ahead. Simply prepare the dip up to a day in advance, cover and refrigerate until ready to bake. Once ready to bake, let the dip return to room temperature while preheating the oven.
Once prepared, this cheese dip will last up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
You can freeze this dip if you would like to make it well in advance. Make sure you seal it well and it will keep in the freezer for up to three months. Don’t bake it straight from frozen, however; you’ll want to leave it in the refrigerator overnight to thaw first.
To reheat, use a stovetop while stirring or in a microwave at 30 second bursts, stirring in between, until heated through.
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 8- ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken, rotisserie or leftover chicken works great for this
- 1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot sauce, or other buffalo hot wing sauce
- 1/2 cup chunky blue cheese dressing
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, more to sprinkle on top, if desired
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican-blend cheese
- kosher salt
- 12 frozen dough dinner rolls, not the already baked, brown and serve kind
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
Buffalo Chicken Dip in Baking Dish (no Skillet bread)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix together chicken, cream cheese, buffalo wing sauce, dressing and blue cheese crumbles in a bowl.
- Pour into medium-sized baking dish bake in oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese on top is hot and bubbly.
- Remove from, garnish blue cheese crumbles (optional) oven and serve.
Buffalo Chicken Dip (with Skillet Bread)
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a large cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- Thaw and proof the dough according to package directions (proof the dough in the skillet, setting each dough ball in the outer circle).
- Meanwhile, mix together chicken, cream cheese, buffalo wing sauce, dressing and blue cheese crumbles in a bowl. Set aside.
- Once the dough has risen and is ready to bake, spoon the dip into the center of the skillet. Top dip with shredded cheese.
- Brush top of bread dough with half of melted butter.
- Place skillet in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove skillet and brush dough with remaining melted butter.
- Place back in oven and bake until bread is golden brown and baked through (check package directions for remaining baking time).
- Remove from oven and serve.
Recipe instructions include two versions, one with the chicken dip only and the other with the dip and skillet bread.