This Buffalo Chicken & Potato Skillet is a fun variation to buffalo wings or even a buffalo wing dip. Crispy potatoes topped with shredded chicken, wing sauce, blue cheese, celery & a drizzle of dressing – perfect for an easy dinner or a Super Bowl appetizer!
I already know what’s going on inside your head. You saw the picture of yet another one-pan potato skillet dish and you’re now wondering if I’ve lost my freaking mind. To which, of course, the answer is obviously “yes“.
But I’m not sorry and there’s nothing I can do about it. I’ve gotten on the cook-my-potatoes-Jacques-Pepin-style train and add lots of awesome ingredients to them to make one yummy, cohesive dish. Bacon, Egg & Potato Breakfast Skillet, Steak & Potato Chimichurri with Fresh Summer Vegetables and now this Buffalo Chicken & Potato Skillet.
I’ve gone skillet meal mad.
I’m just having such fun with the method and it’s so easy to add loads of great toppings and see where it goes. In this case, it’s shredded chicken tossed with a flavorful buffalo wing sauce, creamy blue cheese, chopped celery for a little crunch (and heat relief) as well as a drizzle of sour cream.
Sour cream is just what I had on hand but ranch or blue cheese dressing would be awesome, too. It’s just one big pan of buffalo-wing-goodness…only with crispy potatoes, too!
This method of cooking potatoes – where the potatoes are allowed time to cook in the pan until all the liquid evaporates then to brown and crisp in a little fat (such as butter) is just so tasty and easy and perfect.
The funny thing is that I’ve been making these potatoes for a few years now but only recently started adding more ingredients.
You can see in that second photo that I doused it in buffalo sauce – that’s how I like it and how I suggest you serve yours, too. But you can also just toss the shredded chicken in the sauce and have everyone decide how much extra sauce they want themselves.
This Buffalo Chicken & Potato Skillet dish is AWESOME though – seriously, we were all devouring it while making little grunts and nods. You can imagine how it might taste, I’m sure, as there aren’t any ingredients in there that you haven’t tasted a zillion times before.
But you’ve never tasted it with crispy little nuggets of potatoes, have you? If not, then today is the absolute perfect time to start!
- 2 pounds baby potatoes (the tiniest you can find)
- 1-2 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock or broth
- 3 T unsalted butter
- 1 rotisserie chicken (meat shredded and the rest discarded)
- 1 16- ounce bottle buffalo wing sauce
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 celery stalk (diced)
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing (can also use blue cheese dressing or thinned sour cream)
- Place one layer of baby potatoes in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, fitting slightly snugly. Pour chicken stock over potatoes just until halfway up their sides. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover skillet and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover from skillet and cook another 5 minutes. Cut butter into three pieces and lay each piece of butter in a different spot over the potatoes, allowing to melt. DO NOT STIR. Keep cooking until all liquid has evaporated and you hear a sizzling sound – that sound means that the potatoes are now starting to brown. Using something flat-bottomed (I use a tamper but anything flat-bottomed will do), gently press down on each potato to flatten gently (it’s okay if they split, you want to gently “pop” them). Now just leave them alone to brown – no stirring – for another 5 minutes or so, checking the bottoms occasionally.
- Meanwhile, add enough buffalo wing sauce to thoroughly coat chicken, then gently heat in microwave until just hot (don’t heat chicken until coated with sauce or it will become dry).
- Place chicken mixture on top of potatoes in skillet. Top with blue cheese crumbles, diced celery, and drizzle with ranch dressing. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 329Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 2058mgCarbohydrates: 28gNet Carbohydrates: 25gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 17g