There’s nothing quite like a moist, southern buttermilk cornbread! This version is slightly sweet with fresh corn and will take you to cornbread heaven.
I am picky, picky, picky about my cornbread-I crave that perfect balance of moistness and rich flavor. Too often, cornbread tends to be dry and overly crumbly. But I do crave this Southern cornbread with buttermilk and I make it always when there’s any type of Southern food around. It’s not just a personal favorite; my entire family loves this buttermilk cornbread recipe too, which is why it’s requested so often.
Buttermilk Cornbread Ingredient Notes
Fresh Corn Kernels (optional) – I always add sweet, fresh corn kernels to my buttermilk cornbread. I love the slight texture it adds and you can never go wrong with fresh corn off the cob! By all means, leave it out if you prefer or if it’s just not in season but I do highly recommend it.
Cornmeal Substitute – You can substitute polenta with cornmeal however often the cornbread may result in a coarser texture and subtle change in taste. Substitute equally and the cornbread may require a slightly longer cooking time.
Buttermilk Choice – I used whole buttermilk which helps result in a rich and moist texture, but feel free to use low-fat buttermilk as an alternative. Many people won’t know the difference. If you don’t have buttermilk here is a list of buttermilk substitutes to try.
Find the complete list of cornbread ingredients with amounts in the recipe card below.
How to Make Buttermilk Cornbread
This easy Buttermilk Cornbread recipe is ready to bake in just ten minutes!
- Mix: Whisk all the ingredients except the corn in a bowl. Be careful not to over mix the batter; whisking it helps break up the lumps for a smooth batter and helps prevent over mixing, too.
- Pour: Pour into a greased baking dish.
- Bake: Bake it just until it starts to brown on top and the edges; over baking will make it dry so you need to watch it carefully.
Cornbread Add-ins: Make this recipe your own with these flavorful add-ins:
- Jalapeños, green chiles, pimientos
- Cheese – Gouda, cheddar, pepper jack, goat cheese, parmesan, Asiago
- Bacon, chorizo
- Fresh herbs – Basil, cilantro, oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme
- Fresh fruit – Lemon zest, blueberries, berries, apples, pears
- Dried fruit – Cranberries, cherries, figs
- Seasoning – Old Bay seasoning, creole seasoning
- Nuts – Pecans, walnuts
- Corn – Corn kernels, frozen corn kernels, or canned creamed corn
Try a combination of these add-ins too!
Cornbread Toppings & Spreads: Try spreading warm honey butter, honey, maple syrup, buttermilk ranch dip or cream cheese or serve with a selection of cheeses and jams or preserves
What to Serve with Cornbread
Cornbread pairs well with many delicious sides. Here are a few pairing ideas:
- Chili, soup or stew
- Gumbo or jambalaya
- Barbecue (ribs, pulled pork, brisket, etc.)
- Smoked meats (brisket, ribs, etc.)
- Fried chicken or chicken and gravy
- Shrimp boil
- Hot dogs
- Pot Roast
- Beans (baked, refried, pinto, black, etc.)
- Mashed potatoes
- Hush puppies
- Creamed corn or corn on the cob
- Stuffed peppers
- Collard greens or black-eyed peas
- Eggs or a cornbread breakfast sandwich
- Milk or sweet tea
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 fresh corn cob, kernels removed and remainder discarded
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter and eggs. Add remaining ingredients except fresh corn, whisk together just until combined and few lumps remain (do not over-mix). Stir in fresh corn kernels.
- Pour into a greased 8-inch baking dish. Bake for about 30 minutes, until lightly browned on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with softened butter and a drizzle of honey.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 256mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 4g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.