This Cheesy Baked Potato Gnocchi Recipe is easy to make and has a ton of hot, cheesy flavor. A great weeknight meal recipe!
So Cheesy Baked Potato Gnocchi happened today, one of those accidental recipes. I spent the day working and realized that I was starving after the time for breakfast and lunch had both passed. Open pantry door, see nothing of interest, go to the refrigerator, nothing there either, then back to pantry…I know you’ve been there.
I’m just thankful that gnocchi is shelf-stable and that I keep it on hand at all times, just for emergencies such as this.
My go-to gnocchi recipe is typically to quickly cook the gnocchi then toss with garlic, Parmesan and olive oil but I was in the mood for something different. It was so darn cold and rainy here today and I knew that nothing less than something steaming hot and comforting would do. Even though I was busy with a deadline I knew I had to come up with a “real” gnocchi recipe.
This gnocchi recipe is basically homemade macaroni and cheese with gnocchi instead of noodles. Which, dare I say, I prefer? It’s unAmerican, I know. But I’d also choose a brat over a hot dog and flourless chocolate cake instead of apple pie so the damage is already done.
I have another homemade gnocchi recipe that I make from time to time, although the packaged version seems almost as good so I usually go that route. It’s just so easy and good – not many shelf-stable products can claim that.
Here you’ll just make a quick roux, add some cream and cheese then toss it in the oven. The payout is huge, too…it’s creamy and soft and gooey and flavorful, just like a cold, rainy day dish should be.
- 2 lb gnocchi
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 5 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups half & half
- 3 cups shredded cheese, divided (cheddar or a milder Mexican blend)
- coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Prepare gnocchi according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium skillet. Add garlic cloves and saute over medium heat for 1-2 minutes (do not brown garlic, turn heat down if necessary). Whisk in flour until thick, cook for another 1-2 minutes, whisking constantly. Slowly add evaporated milk, then half & half, whisking constantly, until no lumps remain and mixture is thickened and bubbling. Stir in 2 cups shredded cheese until incorporated.
- Place cooked gnocchi in a baking dish. Add cheese mixture and combine thoroughly. Sprinkle remaining cup of shredded cheese over the top. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 730Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 149mgSodium: 565mgCarbohydrates: 73gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 26g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.