Cheesy Broccoli Soup is fast, easy and delicious – the trick to maximum flavor is roasting your broccoli!
Broccoli is one of those vegetables that took me a long time to love. I would eat it if it’s on my plate and – with the right seasoning – even enjoy it. It wasn’t until I discovered the magic of roasting vegetables at high temperatures that I began wanting to make it at home.
These days I can eat a big bowl of broccoli for dinner and be perfectly happy. Especially when a good dose of salt, black and crushed red peppers are involved. When I roasted the broccoli for this Cheesy Broccoli Soup I had to force myself to stop snacking on it or I wouldn’t have had enough for the soup (it’s those crispy little bits that get me)! If you love roasted broccoli, too – or if you haven’t tried it this way – you may want to make a little extra. Trust me on this one.
Roasting the broccoli gives the soup a lot more flavor than if you just simmered it along with the potato and onion. If you’re really pressed for time you could certainly do it that way, but once you roast you’ll never go back.
I make this Cheesy Broccoli Soup often, especially when I’m home working and need something quick and healthy for lunch. You may have noticed that I’m slightly addicted to soups these days (scroll down for more soup recipes); they’re just so easy, quick and the leftovers are usually better the second and third time around. This broccoli soup recipe has just six ingredients, too – perfect for a lazy rainy or snowy day!
- Wild Mushroom Brie Soup with Parmesan-Pepper Croutons
- Black Bean Soup with Fresh Summer Corn
- Chicken Tortilla Soup with Hatch Chiles
- Lobster Bisque with Old Bay Oyster Crackers
- Lentil Soup Recipe with Parmesan and Smoked Sausage
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into small to medium-sized florets
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium russet potato, diced
- 1 14.5 ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pint heavy cream, 2 cups or half & half or whole milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Drizzle broccoli florets with 2 tablespoons olive oil, season with kosher salt and toss well with your hands. Place in preheated oven and roast until browning well, about 20 minutes or so. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining olive oil in a large soup pot. Add onions and saute until soft and translucent, about five minutes. Add potato and chicken broth. Simmer until potato is soft, about 15-20 minutes (depending on size of your potato pieces).
- Add cream and broccoli. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until thick and fairly smooth. Heat mixture just until very hot (do not boil). Stir in cheese until melted and incorporated fully. Season to taste with salt and pepper.