This flavorful chicken flatbread recipe has a smoky sauce, cilantro-lime chicken, mango & roasted jalapeno which makes for one killer flatbread pizza!
Can you guess how long it took for this chicken flatbread recipe to be devoured??
That’s right…about as long as it took you to think of an answer :)
I adore flatbread. I make some version of a chicken flatbread recipe at least once a week, usually using whatever I’ve got on hand. I like the texture much better than premade pizza dough and there are so many great premade flatbread choices out there now (and even more ways that you can top them). I’ll toss on cheese and pepperoni for my girls (or ham or whatever happens to be in our fridge), goat cheese and prosciutto for a quick appetizer or garlic & parmesan for a crispy bread on the side. But when I want to make a meal out of it – that’s when I create a yummy chicken flatbread recipe.
This chicken flatbread recipe is crispy, cheesy and filled with so much flavor. The sweet mango and spicy jalapenos make a great combination – perfect for summertime when you’ve got the grill going or even in the winter when you need a pick-me-up. The chipotle sauce adds a subtle smokiness and brings all the flavors together so don’t skip it! It’s lightened up with plain yogurt so it won’t add many calories either.
There’s not much to this chicken flatbread recipe either – once you make the chicken (sometimes I’ll double the chicken and have just chicken with rice and beans for dinner then make the flatbreads the next) and roast the jalapenos, just chop a few veggies and put it all together. The jalapenos can also be roasted in advance, which makes it a great make-ahead dinner or party appetizer, too.
Last week on our Facebook page I gave away two $25 Amazon gift cards to whomever could guess the name of this recipe (or come the closest, it was a hard one to guess)! Fun contests like that are always going on over there so be sure to come and play with us.
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, 3-4 breasts
- zest and juice of 3 limes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons adobo sauce, from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (optional)
- 4 flatbreads, homemade or your favorite store-bought brand
- 4 jalapenos
- 1-2 cups mexican-blend shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 2 mangoes, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1-2 avocados, diced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Chipotle Sauce
- Place all ingredients except chicken into a small bowl, dish or large resealable plastic bag; mix well. Add chicken and marinate for at least two hours and up to four.
- Grill chicken over medium heat until well-browned on both sides and cooked completely through. Slice thinly or chop chicken (however you prefer it) and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place jalapenos on baking sheet, drizzle lightly with oil. Roast for 10-15 minutes or until beginning to blister and blacken. Remove from oven and let cool. Remove stems and dice. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375F.
- Place flatbreads on large baking sheet (you may have to bake one at a time depending on size). Dividing evenly between flatbreads, top with cheese, chicken, roasted jalapenos, red onion, mango and tomatoes. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until flatbreads are turning golden brown and cheese is melted through. Remove from oven and top with avocado, cilantro and chipotle sauce.
- Cut into squares and serve immediately.