Chipotle Cheese Potato Soup – no cooking potatoes ahead of time, just a flavorful, hearty soup that everyone loves!!
This delicious Chipotle Cheese Potato Soup recipe is sponsored by TABASCO, one of my favorite brands of all-time! #LuckyMe
This is one of those recipes that was created during the “not quite fall, not quite the end of summer” time of year. The weather is just getting a little cooler (or a little less hot) yet there is still an abundance of summer vegetables to be found everywhere. Even in my own garden, hurray!
Fresh summer corn isn’t something I grow myself but it is something that I buy at least several times a week at my Farmer’s Markets. I serve it in a gazillion different ways, but one of my favorites is adding it to a simmering soup, just before serving. The fresh corn retains it’s crunch and adds such a wonderful texture.
The flavor of sweet corn in this Chipotle Cheese Potato Soup also gives the perfect sweet balance to the smoky, spicy chipotle. I use both adobo sauce from a can of chipotle as well as a hefty amount of TABASCO Chipotle Pepper Sauce; I’ve found that the combination makes for one heck of a tasty soup!
I’ve written the recipe pretty conservatively in terms of how much spice is in this Chipotle Cheese Potato Soup. Personally, I like to add about half the bottle of TABASCO Chipotle Pepper Sauce instead of the 2 teaspoons called for. The thing is, the TABASCO isn’t as spicy as much as it it is flavorful. So the soup can handle it!
Start with a couple of teaspoons, then keep adding until you reach the flavor you enjoy the most. Me, I could eat it straight up…and I actually have (and still sometimes do)!
This recipe is a riff on one of my most popular recipes, my Loaded Potato Soup that you all have gone bonkers for. I realized that if you love that one so much, you would probably love this one since it has just enough twists to make it a different flavor yet it’s just as simple as the original.
I also made you guys a quick video so you can see for yourselves just how simple this cheese potato soup is to make. You’re going to love it!
- 1/2 pound bacon, sliced into large pieces
- 1/2 medium-sized sweet onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 32- ounce container low-sodium chicken broth, 4 cups
- 3 pounds red potatoes, quartered or halved depending on size
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups whole milk, almond milk works, too
- 2-4 tablespoons adobo sauce, from a can of chipotle peppers
- 2 teaspoons TABASCO Chipotle Pepper Sauce, or more!!
- 2 ears fresh corn, kernels removed and cobs discarded
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped green onion, crumbled bacon, fresh chopped cilantro
- Heat a stockpot over med-high heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp, remove with a slotted spoon onto a plate lined with paper towels, leaving bacon grease in stockpot.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onions. Cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over onions and cook, stirring constantly, about another minute (this will remove the "raw" flour taste).
- Slowly pour in chicken stock, whisking constantly until smooth. Add potatoes, bring to a boil then simmer until potatoes are very soft (15-30 minutes, depending on size of potatoes).
- Using a potato masher or something similar, crush potatoes to thicken soup, leaving some chunks but allowing some to "melt" into the soup. Stir in cheese until melted and smooth. Add milk, adobo sauce (to taste), TABASCO Chipotle Pepper Sauce and fresh corn; bring back to a simmer and cook for an additional 10 minutes until very hot.
- Season well with salt and pepper (this is IMPORTANT). Ladle into bowls and top each as desired.
Nutritional information does not account for toppings.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 391 Saturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 47mg Sodium: 1602mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 5g Protein: 14g