You guys are going to be as crazy as I am for these Chorizo & Chicken Tostadas! There are so many things to love about them…where to begin?
My inspiration for using both chorizo and chicken comes from a local Mexican restaurant we love. They have a chicken & chorizo burrito that’s smothered in queso, and it’s to die for. When I lived in Southern CA, we used to eat Mexican Chorizo & Scrambled Egg Burritos for breakfast all the time; that’s where I first learned of my love for chorizo. Mexican chorizo is very different from Spanish chorizo, so be sure you pick up the correct kind.
That burrito swimming in queso isn’t something I’d want to enjoy all the time, however, plus I prefer cooking at home so I know that high quality ingredients are being used. Which is why I was so thrilled when I discovered Mission Organics® Tortillas! You guys know that I make a LOT of spicy Mexican food which means we go through a lot of tortillas. Mission Organics Tortillas are USDA organic certified AND non-GMO project verified! They’re new to the market but I found them easily at my local Harris Teeter in the tortilla aisle.
Mission Organics Tortillas work so well with these Chorizo & Chicken Tostadas. I prefer the corn tortillas but the Organics line also comes in flour or whole wheat (I’ve tried them all – so good).
For my tostadas, I like to cook the chorizo in a skillet first then lightly fry the corn tortillas in some of the grease (that’s why the tortillas in my photos have an orange tint to them). You could easily use a tiny bit of olive oil instead if you prefer, and you may have to add some depending on how many tostadas you make.
I top my Chorizo & Chicken Tostadas with fresh avocado, diced cherry tomatoes, a dab of sour cream, sliced fresh jalapeños and chopped cilantro. A few spoonfuls of a good salsa would be good, too! We typically make these for our family taco night but they’d be perfect as a tostada bar for a small gathering. It’s always fun (and easy) to set out all the ingredients and let everyone choose the toppings they like.
- 4 Mission Organics Corn Tortillas
- 16 ounces Mexican chorizo, casings removed
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- Toppings: sliced avocado, sour cream, chopped tomatoes, sliced jalapeños, chopped cilantro, salsa
- Cook chorizo in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat, about 7-10 minutes. Remove chorizo with a slotted spoon and set aside, leaving grease in skillet.
- Cook tortillas, one at a time, in skillet until slightly crispy and lightly browned.
- Top each tortilla with ¼ of the chorizo then ¼ of the shredded chicken. Add toppings as desired.