I just love all the desserts that pop up each year at Christmas time. Peppermint & eggnog are everywhere these days and it’s such a treat!
I decided to go to my trusty old standby – Panna Cotta – for this year’s holiday dessert. Easy, sophisticated, delicious…and it goes perfectly with raspberry. The white of the Panna Cotta reminds me of Christmas snow:
I “hide” the filling so that only when you took a spoonful do you realize that there was more to it than just the creamy Panna Cotta.
It’s simple to do: make one batch of vanilla panna cotta (takes about 5 minutes to put together – so easy), pour into dishes and chill. Top with raspberry filling then with another batch of Panna Cotta mixture, then chill until ready!
I also like it layered so that you can see the raspberry. Here I served it in tiny dessert dishes with sprinkles of chocolate; you could serve a big crowd if you used these!
More delicious Panna Cotta recipes:
- Panna Cotta with Summer Peaches & Grand Marnier
- 2-Ingredient Panna Cotta with Fresh Berries
- Lemon Panna Cotta with Raspberry Sauce
- 4 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 t pure vanilla extract, divided
- 2 packets plain powdered gelatin, divided
- 6 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 1 cup Raspberry Cake & Pastry Filling (or use fresh raspberries, crushed)
- chocolate shavings and some mint for garnishing, if desired
- Heat 2 cups of the heavy cream, 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 t vanilla in a saucepan, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved.
- Sprinkle 1 packet gelatin over 3 T cold water in a let stand at least 5 minutes.
- Stir the gelatin into the warm cream mixture until it’s completely dissolved.
- Pour into dessert molds or dishes, cover lightly and chill three hours.
- About 20 minutes before panna cotta in the fridge is set, repeat steps 1-3 with remaining cream, sugar, vanilla, water, and gelatin. Allow to cool to lukewarm while panna cotta in the fridge finishes setting.
- Remove panna cotta from the fridge. Spoon raspberry pastry filling over set panna cotta, dividing evenly between dishes (spread to edges to allow the filling to show through or leave in the center to “hide” filling). Gently pour cooled cream mixture over filling. Place back in the fridge and allow to set for 4-5 hours.
- Remove from the fridge when ready to serve. Garnish with shaved chocolate and sprigs of mint.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 358Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 64mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 0gSugar: 14gProtein: 4g