This Corn Casserole with Chicken and Rice is delicious, healthy and easy to make even on a busy weeknight!
I’ve created a super easy Corn Casserole with Chicken and Rice recipe that was inspired by one my mom made often when I was young. You can even assemble the corn casserole the day or night before then just throw it in the oven when you’re ready. I love nights like this when dinner is already prepared yet I know it was my own hands that put it all together.
This the perfect leftover chicken recipe or make it a leftover turkey casserole!
Chicken Corn Casserole Ingredients
- Fresh or frozen corn (or canned)
- Cooked chicken, shredded or chopped (or turkey)
- Uncooked brown rice, white if preferred
- Shredded Mexican-style four cheese blend
- Fire-roasted canned diced tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
- Sweet onion, chopped
- Cilantro, chopped
- Green onions, chopped
- Garlic cloves, minced
- Chili powder
- Ancho chili powder
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Sour cream, for topping
How to Make Chicken Corn Casserole
This dish is perfect for making ahead or as another meal to serve a few days later!
- Cook rice according to package directions
- Sautée onions, garlic and chili powders
- Add all ingredients to casserole dish, mix and season
- Bake at 350F and then garnish with cilantro and green onions
- The chicken should be cooked before putting into the casserole.
- Rotisserie and leftover chicken are our favorites but boiled, pulled, grilled and canned will all work. Breast or thigh are chef’s too.
- Add jalapenos, or my favorite Hatch chiles, for a little extra spice.
- Substitute cheddar cheese for pepper jack cheese.
- You can easily substitute equal amounts turkey with this recipe for a leftover turkey casserole.
Corn Casserole Storage
Store the leftover chicken casserole in an airtight container for up to 3 to 4 days. A covered baking dish will last up to a couple of days.
Make Ahead & Reheat
This dish can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow the casserole to cool and then cover in plastic wrap and double cover with foil if storing in the freezer. The garnish should be added after reheating.
To reheat let the dish sit a room temperature for about 30 minutes and reheat in the oven at 350°F for 20-30 minutes. If frozen, allow the casserole to thaw completely in the fridge before reheating.
A microwave will work, especially for individual servings, but for best flavor use an oven to reheat. Reheat in a microwave on a micro-wave safe dish for 1 minute at medium power. Check and continue to reheat with 30 second bursts until warmed through.
More Tasty Casserole Recipes
- Broccoli Rice Casserole with Chicken
- Chili Relleno Casserole
- Dorito Casserole
- Dorito Taco Casserole with Black Beans and Corn
- Egg Casserole
- Green Bean Casserole
- Hash Brown Casserole
- Mexican Quinoa Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Walking Taco Casserole
Check out our list of easy family dinner ideas!
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice, can use white if preferred
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 2 - 3 cups frozen corn, thawed (fresh corn right off the cob is best in the summertime!)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or chopped (I like leftover chicken or turkey, or rotisserie chicken)
- 1 - 2 cups shredded Mexican-style four cheese blend
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, no need to drain
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Sour cream, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions start to soften, about five minutes. Add garlic and both chili powders; cook about one more minute.
- Add corn, chicken, 1/2 of the cheese, fire-roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice and onion mixture to a greased casserole dish; mix well then add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through. Garnish with cilantro and chopped green onions; serve with sour cream on the side.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 470Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 588mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 27g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.