This tasty summer corn & potato chowder is one of my most requested recipes.
It’s so creamy with a wonderful texture from the sweet summer corn. And it’s incredibly healthy to boot – the secret is no cream added. How is that possible, you ask?
I add reduced-fat milk and…silken tofu.
It sounds strange, I hear you. I am not someone who ever eats tofu and the only reason I buy it is to put in my soups. Because there’s no real flavor, it simply adds a creamy texture and turns soups into something luscious without all the fat and calories (not to mention the protein if offers)! You could certainly replace the tofu with heavy cream or half-n-half if you’re just too wary to go for it – it will be delicious either way!
You might also be wondering how this chowder will work with canned or frozen corn. I haven’t tried it but I’m sure it would work just fine. It will always be better with fresh summer corn taken right off the cob but when that’s not an option, you just have to go with what you’ve got. And this corn chowder is so delicious that you’ll want to make it year-round!
More delicious soup recipes:
- Loaded Potato Soup Recipe – Creamy Cheese & Bacon
- Easy Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Cheesy Potato Soup with Mexican Chorizo & Roasted Jalapenos
Creamy Summer Corn & Potato Chowder
Although this recipe is written for a Vitamix, you can easily cook this in a stockpot and just use a hand blender to blend the ingredients once hot.
Sometimes I like to have a lot of corn and just a little soup (like in the photos) so I will increase the corn to six ears fresh corn instead of four. Go with whatever you’re in the mood for!
- 1 T olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- kernels from 4 ears fresh corn (divided)
- 1 large russet potato (cut into small bite-sized cubes)
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- ½ cup reduced-fat milk (I’ve used almond milk with success)
- 1/3 cup silken tofu
- 1 t kosher salt (or to taste, this soup needs a lot of seasoning!)
- ½ t freshly ground pepper
- chopped parsley (for garnish)
- Preheat large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion, saute about four minutes or until soft. Add half of corn kernels, potato and stock, bring to a boil then simmer until potatoes are soft (about 15 minutes).
- Add milk, tofu and cooked potato mixture to Vitamix (or stockpot, saucepan, etc. then just use a hand blender once hot). Start on Variable 1, quickly go to 10, then to high. Blend for 2-3 minutes until soup is very hot. Add remaining corn to soup and stir. Carefully taste soup and add kosher salt to taste. Serve in heated bowls (I just heat mine in the microwave) and garnish with chopped parsley.