A creamy crab filling paired with earthy mushrooms make these Crab Stuffed Mushrooms the perfect appetizer.
The very first time I made these crab stuffed mushrooms, they disappeared from the tray within five minutes.
They’ve become one of my personal favorite and most popular recipes. You can’t go wrong with a crowd-pleasing dish that is so quick and simple to make!
I began making my own crab stuffed mushrooms at home a few years ago after becoming disillusioned with subpar appetizers at restaurants. Occasionally they’d be good – even great. But more often than not they just didn’t have the flavor or substantial filling that all stuffed mushrooms should have.
HOW TO MAKE STUFFED MUSHROOMS?
Whether you’re making crab stuffed mushrooms or another kind, the method is almost always the same. Here we’re making a filling with cream cheese, garlic, parsley, parmesan and mozzarella cheeses, plus some finely chopped green onion to balance the flavors. And, of course, fresh crab! You can also add a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce if you have some on hand. Be sure to season your filling well with a coarse salt, too.
Once your filling is mixed together, you’ll fill your mushroom caps equally and bake them for about 20 minutes. They’re delicious straight from the oven but are also very good at room temperature, which makes them a great choice for a party.
HOW TO CLEAN MUSHROOMS?
There are two main schools of thought on how to clean mushrooms. One is that you either run the mushrooms under running water or dunk them completely in water to remove the dirt and grit. This is a fast, easy option that many people use, however, I feel that the mushroom’s texture changes to a bit more spongy using this method, so I avoid it whenever possible.
The method that I like to use is to dampen a paper towel and gently wipe off the dirt. It takes a few more minutes, but the end result is worth it to me. When I’m only making one batch of mushrooms, it really doesn’t take much time at all, especially if the mushrooms are relatively clean to start with.
ARE MUSHROOMS GOOD FOR YOU?
Yes! Mushrooms are low in calories yet high in fiber and protein. This is especially great for the Keto diet (which we’ve been following for a few months now and love it). They’re also high in B vitamins, selenium, potassium, and even Vitamin C and D. And they’re high in antioxidants!
HOW MANY CARBS IN MUSHROOMS?
I thought I’d answer this question here, too, since some of my readers follow the keto way of eating (and it’s just good information to have). One cup of mushrooms have approximately 2.5 carbs, but after subtracting the fiber you’ll end up with only 1.5 net carbs. Which means you can easily enjoy these crab stuffed mushrooms and stay within your carb macros.
One of the many reasons I adore crab stuffed mushrooms is because they’re a good balance between healthy and indulgent. They taste like you’re treating yourself (and you are!) yet you’re still getting some good vitamins into your body. And since they’re so simple to make, there’s no reason not to enjoy them often! Watch the short video at the of this page to see just how quick and easy they are to make!
Here are a few more recipes for you mushroom lovers!
- 16-20 large mushrooms,, stems removed and discarded; caps cleaned gently with a damp cloth
- 8 oz cream cheese,, softened
- 2 garlic cloves,, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, , chopped (plus more for garnish, if desired)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 8 oz fresh crab meat
- 1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt,, or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Thoroughly combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl except mushrooms and crab. If mixing is too difficult, microwave for 30 seconds and continue mixing. Gently fold in crab meat.
- Place mushrooms on a baking sheet. Stuff each mushroom with filling, distributing evenly between mushrooms. Gently spray mushrooms with cooking spray to prevent from drying out (optional; can also baste with melted butter).
- Bake mushrooms for 20 minutes or until filling is heated through and mushrooms are cooked completely. Enjoy immediately or at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 342 Saturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 102mg Sodium: 1189mg Carbohydrates: 7g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 4g Protein: 23g