Why fry when you can have Baked Buffalo Wings that are just as crispy with tender, juicy meat, too? A 2-ingredient sauce makes them even better!
Crispy, hot buffalo wings have long been one of my favorite foods. Years ago I’d visit my sister in Atlanta; we’d head down to a local pub that had the absolute best buffalo wings I’ve ever had. I was hooked. Great baked buffalo wings need just a few things: crispy skin, tender meat and a silky, spicy wing sauce. And, of course, a creamy dip and/or some celery sticks to help cool things off.
I can feel my stomach beginning to growl just from those first few sentences.
For years, frying buffalo wings was what I considered the only way to achieve truly great hot wings. Which meant I rarely made them at home – not because they didn’t turn out well but the mess of frying never seemed worth it when I could just order them and save myself the hassle.
That all changed when I tried baking them at a high heat like I do for my Asian Chicken Drumsticks (that’s a recipe you’ve got to try) – my baked buffalo wings came out super crispy, as if they’d been fried! Much easier to prepare, hardly any mess (especially if you line your pan with foil to catch the drippings) and a bit healthier without all that oil.
The same sister I used to visit in Atlanta also makes a killer wing sauce using just two ingredients: equal parts of Frank’s Red Hot Sauce and melted butter. It’s a fantastic sauce; it’s silky and buttery yet still spicy, just like a good buffalo wing sauce should be. Sometimes I’ll add a smidge of garlic powder or cayenne but try starting with just those two ingredients first to see how you like it.
These baked buffalo wings will be perfect for any Super Bowl parties you’re throwing. Make a big batch – they’ll go quickly!
If you love easy recipes and your Instant Pot, don’t miss my new Instant Pot cookbook!
Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings (as good as fried!)
This method of cooking chicken wings is tried and true. I’ll never make my wings another way!
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken wing pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Frank's Original Red Hot Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- for serving: blue cheese dressing (celery and carrot sticks)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place a rack inside a baking sheet lined with foil. Toss chicken wings with vegetable oil, season with salt and pepper. Place wings in a single layer on top of rack. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until wings are browned and crispy.
- Meanwhile, mix together hot sauce and melted butter. Toss cooked wings with 3/4 cup of the sauce, reserving the rest to serve at the table. Serve immediately.