This Easy Pea Salad has been made in my family for years! It always goes fast and is perfect to take to a barbecue or summer potluck.
So I’m at my mom & dad’s house the other day and Mom is making lunch. I’m just kicking back and enjoying the familiar smells in her kitchen when I spy…her easy pea salad on her counter.
She’s been making this easy pea salad for us for years. It’s one of those dishes that I will never make at home because it’s one of those special things I’ll only eat when Mom makes it. It’s fun to go to her house to see and taste so many memories. It just wouldn’t be the same if I made it at my house.
I did quickly grab my camera and take a few shots so I could share her easy pea salad recipe with you! And what better way to preserve her recipes than put them right here?? I have a ton of them written down by her on recipes cards (which I will always treasure) but this is one of those that she never had a need to write down. Yet another of her easy-yet-delicious recipes that she keeps in her head, ready to be made at a moment’s notice.
Fresh peas are delicious in this easy pea salad but frozen peas will do the trick just fine, too. I don’t think I’d recommend using canned; they’d be just a bit too soft and I don’t think the texture would be the same. But, oooh…if you can get fresh, do go there. Just give them a quick blanch and they’ll be ready to go. They’re in season now so it’s the right time to see if you can find them.
Memorial Day is coming in just a few days…don’t you need a killer but easy pea salad to take along? :)
- 2 16 oz fresh or frozen peas, lightly blanched if fresh; thawed if frozen
- ½-¾ cup mayo, start with 1/2 cup and add more if you need it
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup small-diced sweet onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, or cut into very small pieces
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place peas in a medium-sized bowl.
- In another small bowl, mix together mayo, vinegar, sugar and sweet onion. Add to peas and gently but thoroughly mix together.
- Add cheese and gently mix in. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Serve immediately or leave in fridge for up to 12 hours before serving.