This easy Taco Soup recipe comes together in no time at all yet has so much flavor!
It has been COLD here again in Northern VA. After the monster storm that hit the east last month, we’d gotten some warmer weather, so much warmer that I’d been going for long walks outside again and taking in the fresh air. But now that it’s 20 degrees again with a wind chill that makes even this former Wisconsin girl stay indoors, I knew it was time for some serious comfort food with this easy Taco Soup recipe!
When I say that this is an easy Taco Soup recipe, I mean it. The only chopping there is to be done is half an onion! Just add your ground beef then throw in a few cans of delicious goodness. I use Hunt’s Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes (once you try fire-roasted you will always use them, they have so much flavor) and some RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles. Those two convenient yet oh-so-delicious products turn a party into something so simple you’ll be throwing one all the time! Both products are from ConAgra foods and my pantry is always stocked with them.
I made this easy Taco Soup recipe for a gathering I had last week; some friends and I got together to watch the Better Call Saul premiere. Have you watched it yet? If you’re a Breaking Bad fan like I am, do yourself a favor and tune in! Such a great show. We all felt like hibernating with this cold weather and a group gathering around the tube seemed like such a fun idea. We had such a nice time that we decided it must become a monthly happening. I suggested that next time we have it in our pajamas, because why not? :)
My friends each brought a snack to go with the taco soup, with the hit being tortilla chips since they go so well together. This is a thick soup, especially the next day, and a few of us were “dipping” it with some extra cheese and sour cream. It’s that versatile and it really does taste like a taco. I love that it’s so simple and that everyone loves it, from kids to adults. It’s not spicy at all but you could easily throw in some jalapeños on top. If it’s a party, just dice some and let your guests add them to their bowls.
I’m now looking for some recommendations for another show to tune into at my next party. I’d love to hear what you’re all watching! And be sure to try this easy Taco Soup recipe, you will LOVE it!
More delicious soup recipes:
- Chicken Tortilla Soup with Hatch Chiles
- Hatch Chile Soup with Fresh Summer Corn
- Chicken Posole
- Tomato Bisque with Hatch Chiles
- Chipotle Cheese Potato Soup
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 8- ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 can Hunt's Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans RoTel tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 ounce can chicken stock
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- shredded cheddar or mexican-blend cheese, crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, green onions
- Preheat a large pot over medium heat. Add olive oil, then onions. Saute for two minutes, stirring occasionally. Add ground beef, cook until almost no pink remains. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add taco seasoning; stir. Add remaining ingredients, stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and add toppings. Enjoy!