Portobello mushrooms, zucchini and eggplant, grilled and topped with smoked mozzarella and a 5-minute so-good-you’ll-lick-the-bowl chimchurri sauce. The perfect grilled vegetable sandwich!
This grilled vegetable sandwich was photographed about 20 minutes ago but I couldn’t wait to share it. It is so good that every drip and drop of sauce has disappeared. You’d never know these ever existed in our kitchen just that short time ago.
A grilled vegetable sandwich likely doesn’t sound that thrilling and certainly not good enough that it warrants running to my laptop on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon to share the delicious news. If you’ve had my chimichurri sauce then you can already understand the urgency; add veggies and smoked mozzarella and there will be no more questions as to my sanity. At least regarding matters of grilled vegetable sandwiches.
I would have preferred a good ciabatta roll but my favorite bakery was sold out. I chose a freshly-baked multi-grain bread that was almost as good (and was perfect for just dipping into the chimichurri sauce for one last taste) and perhaps a smidge healthier. Not that I made this grilled vegetable sandwich for health reasons…it’s craveable and once you try it, you’ll be making it for its tangy, addicting flavor, too.
I use just three vegetables: grilled portobello mushrooms – sliced nice and thick – along with zucchini and eggplant. The eggplant and mushrooms have a meaty texture and the zucchini has just a slight crunch that brings it all together. A couple slices of smoked mozzarella and the tangy, garlic flavor from the sauce brings this grilled vegetable sandwich home for the win!
Don’t be put off by having to make a sauce just for a little ol’ sandwich, okay? The chimichurri takes FIVE MINUTES (no exaggeration) and can be used for any number of other things (I list 20 uses for chimichurri sauce here along with the recipe).
Katie’s friend Olivia from down the street was here for lunch (they’re both nine years old) and she couldn’t stop eating the sauce! She wasn’t interested in the vegetables but she did love the bread dipped in the sauce (so I sent a little chimichurri home with her for later). Katie devoured the sandwich and they both agreed the sauce must be made on a regular basis, especially when I mentioned that it’s so simple they could make it themselves! Give a try, I know you’ll love it, too!
Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Chimichurri & Smoked MozzarellaPrint
- 4 slices multi-grain bread or 2 ciabatta rolls, sliced
- 1 very large portobello mushroom or 2 medium
- 1-2 zucchini sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium eggplant sliced lengthwise
- 4 small slices smoked mozzarella
- 1/2 cup chimichurri sauce or more!
- Using a spoon, remove gills from mushroom. Clean gently and slice thickly.
- Preheat a grill (or grill pan) over medium heat. Grill vegetables until they have nice char marks and are crisp-tender (2-3 minutes for the eggplant and zucchini; 5-7 for the mushrooms).
- Pile grilled vegetables onto bread, top with cheese and drizzle generously with chimichurri sauce. Enjoy immediately and with plenty of napkins, it's messy but delicious!