This lightning fast recipe for keto Buffalo sauce has just two ingredients: hot sauce and melted butter! Try some of our suggested variations to take it up another notch or use it as-is in your favorite keto recipes that call for buffalo sauce.
Is Buffalo sauce keto friendly?
Yes, absolutely! This recipe has ZERO carbs and only two ingredients so you know exactly what you’re eating. Not only is buffalo sauce keto friendly, but it’s also a key ingredient in many keto recipes. Buffalo chicken dip, buffalo wings, and cauliflower wings are all examples of what you can make with homemade buffalo sauce.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I’ll earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Which hot sauces are keto friendly?
Most hot sauces on the market are made with minimal ingredients and are keto friendly. Always check the label, of course.
Frank’s Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce is the most popular and commonly used hot sauce for wings. It’s the sauce that I use in this recipe as it makes an amazing keto buffalo sauce. The ingredients are aged cayenne red peppers, distilled vinegar, water, salt, and garlic powder. I prefer Frank’s because it has heat but still a lot of flavor.
Trappey’s Red Devil Sauce is another popular one with no carbs. I haven’t tried this one since I’m pretty devoted to Frank’s, but here are the ingredients if you’re interested in giving it a shot: distilled vinegar, red cayenne pepper, salt, guar gum, xanthan gum, and ascorbic acid.
Here’s an example of one that I’d be wary of even though a good friend of mine swears by it. BLiS Blast Hot Pepper Sauce says no carbs on the label, but check out these ingredients: red ripe peppers, vinegar, spices, garlic, seasoning, sugar, salt, maple syrup, and xantham gum. Don’t get me wrong, it sounds amazing and I’d love to try it! But if you’re on the keto diet, it’s so important to not only check the label but also read the ingredient list so know what you’re purchasing.
This is why I just make my own since it only takes a few minutes AND it’s SO GOOD!
Carbs in store-bought Keto Buffalo sauce
Most buffalo sauces you’ll find in stores don’t have carbs, but always check the label to be sure. What they sometimes do have, however, is unwanted ingredients, such as corn starch and corn syrup.
Some brands that are specifically marketed for the keto diet also include tapioca starch. It’s debatable whether or not that’s “allowed” on the keto diet, but a delicious buffalo sauce doesn’t need it! Check those labels, folks.
A great-tasting ready-made keto buffalo wing sauce that has only natural ingredients is the Primal Kitchen brand. It’s a lot more expensive but it’s delicious and worth the price IF you don’t want to make your own. It really is so quick and easy to make it at home though, so I hope you’ll save some cash and give this easy recipe a try!
Keto Buffalo Sauce – Recipe Variations
- Make a thicker, creamy buffalo sauce by adding 1/4 cup mayonnaise to the cooled sauce, then whisk it vigorously until it’s combined. Add more until it’s just how you like it! Softened cream cheese cut into small pieces then stirred into the piping hot sauce also works really well. Creamy buffalo sauce is especially delicious with chicken tenders, grilled chicken breast or keto buffalo chicken wings.
- Add a couple of minced garlic cloves to the butter while it’s melting.
- Stir in a little regular or smoked paprika
- Add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce (watch the amounts as it’s not keto friendly)
- Add cayenne pepper if you want more heat! If you want less heat, decrease the amount of hot sauce used in the recipe.
Ways to use Keto Buffalo Sauce
- Try it in your favorite keto recipe, or try making keto buffalo chicken dip, cauliflower wings, or buffalo wings
- Toss it with roasted cauliflower
- Mix it into softened cream cheese for a quick dip
- Brush it onto baked chicken thighs before serving
- Drizzle it on the Buffalo Ranch Roasted Cauliflower Nachos (but skip the corn if you’re keto)
- Mix it with shredded chicken. Enjoy it on its own or in these Keto Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms.
- Dip celery or cauliflower into the creamy version for an easy snack
- 1 cup cayenne pepper hot sauce (such as Frank's)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, preferably grass-fed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (add it to the butter when you're melting it)
- 1 tsp regular or smoked paprika
- a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- cayenne pepper, to taste, to add even more heat
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Turn off the heat and stir in the hot sauce.
- Toss with crispy baked wings or in your favorite recipe that calls for buffalo sauce.
Creamy Buffalo Sauce: If you prefer a creamier sauce you can stir in 4 oz. softened cream cheese, cut into small pieces, into the sauce before removing from the heat. Or you can whisk in 1/4 cup mayonnaise once it's completely cooled.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 103Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 468mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix. It was calculated using only the first two ingredients: hot sauce and butter.