Mexican Gourmet Hot Dogs – cheesy, a little spicy and SO delicious!
Hey guys! How was your weekend? Mine was pretty great. Aside from a sick kid (she was feeling much better yesterday, thanks for asking :) it ended up being fun. I had a chance to take Kylie to The Zone for a couple hours on Saturday (which was SO NECESSARY because we’d both been house-bound for too long). Yesterday I did my share of Pokemon hunting with both girls and – dare I say it – I really enjoyed it! Despite the crazy heat we’re having here in VA, we walked to the Farmer’s Market at the park and caught some Pokemon at the same time. Then we came home and I whipped up these Mexican Gourmet Hot Dogs! Such a fun day.
These Mexican Gourmet Hot Dogs are part of my very own “hot dog week”. This past Saturday was “National Hot Dog Day” and since we enjoy gourmet hot dogs around here (“gourmet” being anything that’s more exciting than your standard ketchup, mustard, onions & relish), I thought I’d dedicate an entire week to the delicious dog.
The toppings I used on these Mexican Gourmet Hot Dogs are a quick cheese sauce (sharp cheddar cheese melted with enough milk to make it spoonable), minced red onion, sliced Serrano peppers, more cheese (but this time a crumbly queso fresco) and a sprinkling of cilantro. A few had chopped tomatoes, too – so good! Crumbled bacon wouldn’t hurt anything, either :)
Be sure to grill your dogs, even if it’s just indoors on a grill pan (you could even fry them in a skillet). Just don’t boil them, you’ll miss out on a lot of flavor that way. Butter and lightly toast your buns, too, as it makes all the difference between a meh hot dog and a gourmet hot dog!
Coming up this week: Cheesy Bacon Beef Hot Dogs, Buffalo Blue Cheese Frankfurters and Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs Stuffed with Pickles & Peppers. The fifth has yet to be determined but you know it’ll be delicious! Cheers :)
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup milk, more or less, depending on desired consistency
Dogs and toppings
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- 4 serrano peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/4 medium red onion, minced
- diced fresh tomatoes
- chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
- crumbled bacon
- Place grated cheese in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in milk. Continue stirring, adding more milk as necessary, until cheese sauce is melted completely and you've reached desired consistency. (NOTE: sauce will thicken and harden as it cools).
- Grill hot dogs and buns until dogs are nicely charred on the outside and buns are golden brown. Place on buns and top as desired.