I adore mushrooms. Doesn’t matter to me how they’re prepared, what type of mushroom it is, or if it’s appetizer, entree, or dessert (okay, even I draw the line at dessert…maybe). Add a sour cream mixture and add a layer of cheese? I’m in food heaven.
The trick to getting the most flavor from your mushrooms is to cook them over HIGH heat. You almost want to think of your meaty mushrooms as a nice, juicy steak…put them in a very hot pan, and don’t touch them for at least a few minutes, and preferably after they’ve released all their moisture and it’s evaporated. You want to get a nice, golden color to them before flipping them – that’s how you’ll build the most flavor.
This is a great mushroom recipe that even my kids will eat (well, one of them). The leftovers heat up very nicely and taste just as good as when they’re fresh out of the oven. I hope you enjoy them!
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs fresh cremini mushrooms, sliced thick
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 – 2 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp coarse salt
- a few turns of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese (suggested: Swiss)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and, when it's shimmering, add the mushrooms. Cook until they've released their liquid and it's evaporated, then they've started to brown.
- Mix together the sour cream and flour, whisking to make sure the flour is well-incorporated. Stir in the salt and pepper..
- Add to the sour cream mixture the pan. Cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased baking dish. Top with cheese and pop it in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 419Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 449mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 14g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.