An Overnight French Toast Bake that has a caramel-like “glaze” once it’s baked. Perfect for the holidays or a lazy Sunday morning!
An Overnight French Toast Bake is the perfect choice for Christmas, Easter, Mother’s Day or any Sunday morning! It must be made the night before (or the morning before if you’ll be busy Christmas Eve) which is wonderful since there’s nothing better than waking up and remembering that breakfast is already made ahead. Just pop this easy French Toast Bake into the oven and it’ll be ready by the time the presents are unwrapped.
French Toast Bake Ingredients
- Butter: No need to wait for it to soften since it’s melted.
- White corn syrup: A perfect sweetener for this tasty casserole.
- Brown sugar: Pack tightly to ensure maximum sweetness is added to this recipe.
- Loaf french bread: A crusty french bread works best. Ciabatta bread, brioche bread, sourdough bread, or challah bread will all work as a substitute. The key is a dry bread that will absorb all the ingredients.
- Eggs: Choose large eggs
- Whole Milk: The fat from the whole milk works best but you can use reduced-fat, and even skim milk, if you prefer. Other milk substitutes can be used as well but as with any substitute it will alter the flavor slightly.
- Vanilla extract: Similar to salt, it enhances all the other flavors by making everything more savory plus it adds a subtle flavor of vanilla.
- Kosher salt: Enhances the flavor of all the other ingredients.
(Scroll down to the bottom for the printable recipe card with exact measurements and recipe instructions.)
How to Make French Toast Bake
Making this fantastic breakfast or brunch recipe is incredibly simple.
- Mix together eggs, milk, vanilla and a bit of salt, then add bread cubes.
- Heat a few ingredients in a saucepan to boiling which will make a buttery caramel-like sauce.
- Pour that into a baking dish, top it with the bread cubes and milk mixture, then pop it into the refrigerator overnight.
- Bake until lightly browned on top and cooked through.
In the morning, all you have to do is put it in the oven. Relaxing breakfast heaven!
French Toast Bake Variations
Try these topping ideas too!
Fresh Berries – I serve this Overnight French Toast Bake with fresh berries, usually blueberries, strawberries or a combination of raspberries and blackberries.
Fruit – Jam, or sliced apples or peaches or a combination would make a for a nice fruity topping. Dried raisins or craisins or dried bananas would make add a tasty fruity flavor as well.
Nuts – Sprinkle crushed walnuts, pecans or other nuts on top.
Spices – Add spices such as cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, or pumpkin pie spice.
Savory – Add savory flavor to to this sweet dish by mixing in ham, bacon or sausage.
Sweeter – It’s already sweet enough and doesn’t need any syrup, although you could certainly drizzle some on top for the sweet tooths in your house. Dollops of cream cheese, whipped cream, honey or powdered sugar would an extra bit of decadence too.
Chocolatey – Drizzle chocolate or spread Nutella on top.
Make Ahead & Storing
If you’re looking to make this dish WAY ahead you can freeze the french toast casserole before baking. Simply wrap the dish in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil and store in the freezer for 1-2 months. Thaw overnight and then follow the baking directions to finish.
This French Toast Bake can also be stored in the casserole dish in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Simply cover the dish and refrigerate.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tsp white corn syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 loaf french bread, dried-out bread works best
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Grease a 13x9 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Beat eggs, milk, vanilla and salt together in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Melt butter, brown sugar and corn syrup in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir for one minute. Pour mixture into greased casserole dish, tilting as needed to spread to the edges. Place bread on top, cutting or breaking up into 1-inch cubes as needed to fill in all gaps.
- Pour egg mixture over bread, pressing down to ensure all pieces are soaked in mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight, at least 4-6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bake casserole for 35-40 minutes, or until lightly browned on top and cooked through. Flip casserole out onto serving tray, top with fresh berries and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 762Saturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 271mgSodium: 855mgCarbohydrates: 103gFiber: 1gSugar: 62gProtein: 17g
More delicious breakfast recipes: