There’s a chipotle black bean burger they serve at my gym’s cafe that is to die for. I’ve never been much of a “veggie” burger type, but after trying theirs, I’ve really changed my opinion of the non-burger.
The pomegranate glaze is amazing. Even if you’re not a black bean burger fan, you should at least try making the glaze.
Canned black beans are a pantry staple at our house; I’m never without them. They’re so versatile: soup, salads, appetizers, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, these babies fit in pretty much anywhere. Plus they’re cheap and healthy!
- 8 oz. bottle pomegranate juice
- 2 T. sugar
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 t. finely chopped chipotle pepper, more or less according to taste
- 1 15- oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro, I added half a cup
- 1/2 t. cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs, regular would also do the trick
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Pour pomegranate juice into a small saucepan and add lemon juice and sugar. Bring quickly to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until reduced to a thin glaze (it should easily coat the back of a spoon). Remove from heat and immediately stir in chipotle (glaze will thicken as it cools).
- Place beans in a medium-sized bowl and mash them thoroughly (it’s okay if you have a whole bean here or there, just get most of them). Add onion, cilantro, cumin and garlic; mix well.
- Add egg and bread crumbs, mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper, then form into eight slider-sized burgers.
- Heat a grill pan over med-high heat with a T. of olive oil. When hot, add burgers and grill until good and brown, then flip and do the same on the other side. With a basting brush, brush glaze over burgers.
- Serve on toasted slider buns; top with a thin tomato slice and a garnish of cilantro.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 626mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 10gSugar: 16gProtein: 13g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.