This easy recipe for Crispy Smashed Potatoes will become your go-to recipe! Smashed Potatoes can be made mostly ahead of time then just toss them in the oven.
That’s what I always think when I make these Crispy Smashed Potatoes. They are the ultimate definition of this urban term.
If you’ve seen the movie “Kissing Jessica Stein” then you already know what the heck it is I’m talking about. In the movie, two of the main characters are discussing movie stars and who might fall into the “Sexy-Ugly” category. James Woods and Mick Jagger are two examples. My interpretation is that although they may not be attractive in the conventional sense, there’s something else about them that catapults them into sexy territory.
Just like these Crispy Smashed Potatoes.
They’re not the prettiest dish you will ever make. They might even be the ugliest. But you can see their crispy outside and their fluffy insides. Their flavor shines through even to our eyes, making them pretty darn sexy. Even if they are ugly :)
If you’ve seen my last recipe for Turkey Meatloaf Bites with a Chipotle Glaze then you’ve already seen another sexy-ugly dish. Those little meatloaf bites go perfectly with these killer smashed potatoes and I’m pretty sure that they’re both happy being served alongside one another. Is it just me or do they look especially tasty side by side?
However you choose to serve these smashed potatoes and whatever you serve them with, I can promise you that you’ll love them forever. They’re very similar in texture and flavor to my tried and true method for cooking potatoes from Jacques Pepin. I use that method all. the. time.
But this one, although very close to the same result, can be mostly made ahead of time. Simply cook the potatoes by boiling until tender, give them a smash with the palm of your hand and refrigerate until ready to toss in the oven.
By roasting them over a high heat with olive oil and a little salt, you’re ensuring your smashed potatoes will turn out crispy on the outside yet melt-in-your-mouth soft on the inside.
Now that’s sexy.
Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Baby Red Potatoes (about a dozen or so, depending on size)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Using a wide dutch oven or deep skillet, place potatoes in pan in one layer. Add enough water to cover by an inch. Bring to a boil, then simmer until potatoes are cooked through and can be pierced easily with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Drain potatoes well and pat dry if necessary. Place on baking sheet and gently press each on with your palm to flatten. If any break just push them back together. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt.
- Roast potatoes for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, flip each potato over, drizzling with more olive oil if any look dry and seasoning with more salt, if necessary. Roast for another 20 minutes or until potatoes are sizzling and crispy.
- Serve immediately.