This simple dish of Spicy Sauteed Veggies with Chicken Sausage is healthy, flavorful and super fast for an easy weekday lunch or dinner.
This post is sponsored by al fresco. Thanks for helping to support this blog and the brands that I love!
I’ve been making a conscious effort to eat even healthier the past few months. I’ve always strived to have a good balance and not think too much about it, and while that’s still true, keeping it at the forefront of my mind has made way to better choices overall.
I’ve been fortunate to have good enough genes that for most of my life, I haven’t had to count calories or work too hard to stay in shape. Now that I’m well into my 40’s, however – and after two kids – that’s definitely changed. It’s a good thing, too, because it’s forced me to think more about my overall health which is far more important than any number on a scale.
Due to my profession and the fact that I work from home, it’s both easier and harder to make those good choices. I’m often distracted and so into whatever project I’m currently working on that I’ll forget to eat until it’s long past lunchtime. Then I’m so hungry I just want to grab whatever is quickest, which is often not the most healthy choice.
To combat this, I’ve been working on super simple, fast recipes that feature fresh ingredients. When al fresco contacted me about creating a recipe for them, I instantly knew what I would make. Because I’ve made this very dish countless times over the last year or so.
I loooove al freso sausage because it has so much flavor! I typically use the Spicy Jalapeño flavor (I’m sure my regular readers are far from shocked by that, knowing my penchant for spicy foods), but my other favorites are the Roasted Garlic and the Buffalo Style with Blue Cheese.
Their sausage has 70% less fat than pork sausage, too! One link of the Spicy Jalapeño has just 130 calories. So when I pair their sausage with freshly sauteed veggies, it’s a winning meal for both my health and my taste buds.
You could easily swap out any of the other flavors in this recipe, that’s the beauty of it! Or use your favorite vegetables in place of the ones I use for my sauteed veggies. Zucchini would be great, or even brussels sprouts. Sometimes I’ll add a little cumin or ancho chile powder, too. The key is to make it your own so you really enjoy it!
Be sure to check out all of al fresco’s products. They have over 40 exciting, flavorful, gourmet varieties of chicken products, each with 70% less fat than pork sausage with no artificial ingredients.
Spicy Sauteed Veggies with Chicken Sausage
- 1 12- oz package al fresco Spicy Jalapeño Chicken Sausage, sliced crosswise into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped
- 2 ears fresh corn, kernels removed and cobs discarded
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the al fresco chicken sausage and brown well on both sides. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add onion, bell pepper, poblano pepper and serrano pepper to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, about five minutes.
- Add sausage back to pan, along with the corn and cherry tomatoes. Saute a few minutes more, or until veggies are tender but still slightly crisp.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 151Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 245mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 6g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.
- 15 Minute New England Clam Chowder - March 27, 2023
- Seasoned Oyster Crackers with Old Bay - March 27, 2023
- Easy Avocado Egg Bake - March 22, 2023