Not quite cornbread and not quite corn pudding, Sweet Corn Cake is an easy six-ingredient side that is perfect with any Mexican meal.
What is Sweet Corn Cake
Sweet Corn Cake, also known Mexican Corn Cake or Pastel De Elote in Spanish, is a moist, sweet corn cake. Some would liken this delicious treat as a cross between cake and cornbread. Recipes for this scoopable, buttery, and flecked with sweet corn pieces dish can vary greatly.
You might know Mexican Sweet Corn Cake from the many Mexican restaurants that serve it as a side including El Torito and Chevy’s. The Cheesecake Factory even serves Sweet Corn Tamale Cakes topped with sour cream, salsa, cilantro, avocado and salsa verde.
This easy Sweet Corn Cake is a copycat recipe of Chi Chi’s corn cake recipe, a now closed popular Mexican restaurant chain from years past.
Sweet Corn Cake Ingredients
- JIFFY corn muffin mix: This common pantry ingredient makes this recipe easy. Mexican Sweet Corn Cake can also be made with masa harina (instant corn flour) but it’s not as easily available and yet the flavor is so similar.
- Egg: The egg will add the structure and leavening to this recipe.
- Butter: The melted butter makes this recipe tastier and richer.
- Creamed corn: Canned or homemade creamed corn will work. This recipe is great when you have leftover creamed corn.
- Whole Kernel Corn: The star of the show and whole kernels add the classic grainy, rough texture to this sweet corn cake. Fresh or canned can be used.
- Sugar: The sugar put the “sweet” in sweet corn cake.
- Salt: Just a pinch of salt is needed.
Make it Vegetarian: The regular JIFFY Corn Muffin Mix contains lard for shortening. JIFFY Vegetarian Corn Muffin Mix is made using vegetable shortening.
(Scroll down to the bottom for the printable recipe card with exact measurements and recipe instructions.)
How to Make Sweet Corn Cake
This sweet corn cake recipe is super easy to make. Just preheat the oven, mix all the ingredients together and bake in the oven until the mixture is still just a tiny bit jiggly in the center.
Remove from oven and serve after cooling. Sweet corn cake is best enjoyed warm but can be served cold too.
What to Serve with Sweet Corn Cake
There’s no wrong way to eat Mexican Sweet Corn Cake, every bite is absolutely delicious.!
- Mexican Main Dishes: Serve it as a side along with rice and beans and the main dish such as tacos, burritos or enchiladas. It’s great as a treat after your meal or to enjoy between the spicy Mexican food bites.
- Standalone Snack: Sweet Corn Cake is delicious à la carte or topped with salsa, sour cream, guacamole, cilantro, Pico de Gallo, or avocado.
- Chili or Soup: Like chili and cornbread it’s delicious with your favorite soup or chili. Serve it as a side or dollop a bit on top of chili like you would sour cream.
- Breakfast: Have it as a treat with your morning coffee, enjoy as a muffin or as a side to eggs and bacon or huevos rancheros.
- Dessert: Sprinkle powdered sugar or honey on top or serve with vanilla ice cream. For an extra touch of sweetness drizzle a little caramel sauce or sweetened condensed milk on top.
- Jalapeño Poppers: I have even stuffed my jalapeno poppers with it.
How to Store & Reheat
Sweet Corn Cake is best stored at room temperature on a covered plate or cake stand for up to 2 to 3 days. Store away from heat or direct sunlight. I don’t recommend storing it in a refrigerator.
This dish can be stored in the freezer in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve, let the cake thaw on a counter before reheating.
To reheat Mexican Corn Cake, microwave for 30 second bursts, until warm.
- 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 can creamed corn
- 1 can corn, drained well
- 1/3-1/2 cup sugar
- pinch of salt, a pinch is three fingers
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix all ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Grease a 1 1/2 - 2 quart baking dish, pour in corn cake mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until mixture is still just a tiny big jiggly in the center. Remove from oven, allow to cool 5-10 minutes and serve.
Make it Vegetarian: The regular JIFFY Corn Muffin Mix contains lard for the shortening. JIFFY Vegetarian Corn Muffin Mix is made using vegetable shortening.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 446mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 4g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.