This Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Fresh Crab is an elegant soup with fantastic flavor! A Vitamix soup but can also be made on the stove using a hand blender.
And here I am, making yet another Vitamix soup in my kitchen.
This particular Vitamix soup doesn’t use my tofu trick, however. No, this recipe is a bit more indulgent and uses half and half or heavy cream to achieve that rich, silky texture.
Roasted Red Pepper Soup has been a favorite of mine for years. It’s an easy recipe to keep around since the convenience of jarred roasted red peppers makes cooking it a snap. Buy your roasted red peppers at Costco in their ginormous jar and you can make it for super cheap, too. I do enjoy roasting my own peppers as well and the flavor can’t be beaten. Oh time, why are you always a factor in everything we do? :)
This easy Vitamix soup is elegant enough that it makes a perfect dinner party or holiday dinner starter. It can also be made ahead of time then refrigerated until ready to reheat and serve. Reheating can be done in a pan on the stove over medium-low heat.
I won’t claim that it’s healthy like my Roasted Butternut Squash, Creamy Tomato with Gorgonzola Croutons or my Creamy Summer Corn & Potato Chowder Vitamix soups – but sometimes those healthy tricks don’t work right with certain foods and recipes. Personally I don’t like sacrificing flavor just to make a dish healthy so I’ll go with the heavy cream and butter when I have to. You’ll know the compromise is worth it when you take your very first spoonful!
More delicious soup recipes:
- Lentil Soup Recipe with Parmesan & Smoked Sausage
- Lobster Bisque with Old Bay Oyster Crackers
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Loaded Potato Soup Recipe – Creamy Cheese & Bacon
- Chicken Tortilla Soup with Hatch Chiles
Vitamix Soup | Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Fresh Crab
Don’t be tempted to skip the crab. It helps balance the flavors and the soup really shines with it.
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 2 red roasted red bell peppers (I sometimes roast my own or just use two from a jar if I’m short on time)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 16 ounce container fresh crab meat
- Remove crab from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature while you prepare soup (this way it won’t be too cold to add to the soup).
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and onions, saute until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Place onions and all ingredients (except crab) in blender. Start on Variable 1, quickly go to 10, then to high. Blend for 5-7 minutes or until very hot and steaming. Add salt, taste and season more if needed.
- Pour soup into four bowls. Divide crab mixture between bowls and gently drop into the middle of each bowl. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley, if desired.