The secret to this simple wedge salad is taking five minutes to reduce your balsamic into a sweet, syrupy treat!
It may be starting to feel like fall around here, but I've still got tomatoes on my vines and I'm not surrendering just yet. Besides, it occurred to me that I've not once shared my wedge salad recipe with you. Not that wedge salads need much of a “recipe”, but I'll still claim mine as the best.
The trick to a killer wedge salad is – wait for it – high-quality ingredients. I know, big shocker there, right? But it's easy to forget that when you're making something with so few ingredients, those ingredients matter much more than if you were able to “hide” one amidst the others. There's no hiding with a wedge salad. Fresh tomatoes off the vine, crunchy fresh lettuce and homemade blue cheese dressing is the only way to go.
I like to take my wedge salad even one step further and add a balsamic drizzle. The flavor combination of bacon, blue cheese and balsamic is knock-your-socks-off good and it only takes a few minutes to boil down your vinegar into a sweet, syrupy treat. You can add regular balsamic but it won't be the same; take the time to reduce it, trust me on this one! You can easily adjust the servings for this salad, too, just by cutting your head of lettuce into eight wedges instead of four. I prefer that size anyway; who needs that much lettuce? Everyone knows it's the toppings that matter :) But however you take your wedge salad, I'm confident you'll love this one.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- High-quality blue cheese dressing, preferable [homemade|http://www.thewickednoodle.com/buttermilk-blue-cheese-dressing/
- Crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2-1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup balsamic reduction
- 16 or so cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Remove core from lettuce. Cut lettuce head in half, then cut each half into quarters. Place on serving tray (or individual plates).
- Drizzle each lettuce wedge with dressing and balsamic reduction. Sprinkle with blue cheese, crumbled bacon and cherry tomatoes.
- Serve immediately.