This Italian Sausage Stew has just 6 ingredients but so much flavor!
The first time I made this Italian Sausage Stew, I immediately put it on our weekly dinner rotation.
I mean, just 6 ingredients? Most of which I keep on hand at all times anyway? Very little prep but loads of flavor and healthy goodness?
Then I made it for my cousin Britt and her family and they put it on their weekly dinner rotation!
My cousin Britt and her family moved back to the States from Guam late last year. Although Britt and I lived about four hours apart growing up, our families spent a lot of holiday and summer vacations together. And despite our age difference – I’m several years older – we were always close.
As we grew older we didn’t see each other often and almost completely lost touch. It wasn’t until we were both married with children that circumstances brought us together again, living only about 20 minutes apart.
For a couple of years we saw each other frequently, sharing all those same holidays and birthdays just as we did when we were kids. It was awesome having family close by, and Britt became one of my closest friends. But then they moved to Guam, we moved to Northern Virginia and the odds of us living close to one another became pretty slim.
Last year Britt and her family moved back to the States and we’re now within driving distance again! It’s so awesome having them back. Shortly after they moved back, they came over to see our new digs and catch up. The weather had just started turning colder; I wanted to make something easy and comforting that would keep me out of the kitchen so we’d have plenty of time together.
That was the first time I made this Italian Sausage Stew for Britt and her family. And I’ve made it many times since then. It’s so easy to throw together and – despite the short list of ingredients – it has great depth of flavor. It can be made in the slow cooker or the stove top; I prefer the stove top simply because I work from home so simmering a stew on the stove works best for me. Either way you prepare it, you’ll love this easy and delicious Italian Sausage Stew!
More delicious soup recipes:
- Lobster Bisque with Old Bay Oyster Crackers
- Lentil Soup Recipe with Parmesan and Smoked Sausage
- Chicken Tortilla Soup with Hatch Chiles
- Loaded Potato Soup (super simple, no need to peel or even drain your potatoes!)
- Avgolemono Soup
- 1 package ground Italian sausage, about a pound or more
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- * 2 15 ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- * 2 15 ounce cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- * 1 tablespoon chopped fresh, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- * Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat a dutch oven over medium heat. Cook sausage until almost no pink remains. Add onions; cook 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook one minute more, stirring frequently.
- Add beans, tomatoes and thyme to pan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low; simmer at least one hour, stirring occasionally. Season liberally to taste.