This recipe for Szechuan Beef Pasta is so easy yet healthy and delicious! It’s a great way to make a gourmet meal out of simple ground beef or turkey.
Today I’m sharing one of my family’s favorite dishes…szechuan beef pasta. I’ve been making this szechuan beef dish for years and we never get bored from enjoying it too much (is it even possible to tire of Szechuan Beef??). In fact, if too many days go by and I haven’t made it, requests for it inevitably start rolling in from family and even friends. It’s become such a part of our weekly family life that when it doesn’t appear we all really miss it. What I love most about this particular szechuan beef dish is that it’s fast and easy, has so much flavor and it’s something different to do with ground beef from the typical casserole, tacos, etc.
One of my longtime readers, Wendi H. from Seattle, WA, has raved about this dish since forever. She frequently posts about it on Facebook and often makes funny Szechuan Beef references on my personal Facebook posts (we became Facebook friends through Szechuan Beef, haha)! She’s made this dish for her family once a week since first trying it several years ago and they’ve never tired of it, either!
It tends to be a bit sweet so you might want to start with a bit less hoisin sauce and increase to your taste. The same goes for the crushed red pepper; start with less and add more if you prefer it more spicy. I’ve made it with ground turkey, too, and even served it over rice – both versions are fantastic (although pasta is definitely better). Use whole wheat pasta and turkey in place of beef and you’ll have the healthiest Szechuan Beef around!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 8 ounces vermicelli, cooked
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet, stirring until it crumbles; drain and keep warm.
- Pour sesame oil in pan and heat till hot. Saute onion and next 4 ingredients hot sesame oil until tender.
- Combine cornstarch and beef broth, whisking until smooth. Stir broth mixture, hoisin sauce, and soy sauce into onion mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Stir in ground beef.
- Toss the szechuan beef with hot cooked pasta, and sprinkle with sliced green onions.