Last night, I dreamed that I was a contestant on Top Chef! While everyone else was cooking, I took a casual stroll around the kitchen and hallways, talking to all the chefs I recognized from previous seasons on the show. I ran into Jamie in a hallway and she was really very nice ;-) So nice, that I forgot to get back to the kitchen where Harold was helping me with my french toast (yeah, I know, french toast on Top Chef). I’d burned my first batch so Harold sort of took over. When I got back to the kitchen he had it all cut out into gorgeous shapes and I tasted my sauce: it was delicious, thick and sweet with cinnamon and cardamom. (Yes, I will be trying to recreate Harold’s creation that I created in my very own subconscious…who knew cooking could be so weird!) Anyway, Tom loved my french toast at the judges table. But can you imagine how stressed I was that I would be found out that it wasn’t really me who made it? Luckily, my sweet kids woke me up before the axe came down and I can continue to live in my victorious Top Chef world…at least until the dream fades!
How’s that for random?
All right, I have no more time to chat this morning. It’s Thanksgiving, people, I have a days worth of cooking ahead of me! So I will simply leave you with this absolutely delicious asparagus salad that I came across the other day. It’s sooo delicious and the flavors all work very well together. This would be fantastic as a first course at a dinner party or even a light weekday lunch. Either way, I hope you enjoy! And have a great Thanksgiving, too!
Asparagus Salad with Soft Poached Eggs, Prosciutto, and Lemon-Chive Vinaigrette
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/4 teaspoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 8 thin slices prosciutto (about 2 ounces)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh chives (optional)
1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add olive oil, stirring well with a whisk.
2. Toss asparagus spears lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with small amount of kosher salt. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 5-10 minutes, depending on how thick your spears are (overcooked asparagus is not appealing, you’re going for crisp-tender here). Arrange 2 prosciutto slices in the center of each of 4 plates. Arrange asparagus spears evenly over prosciutto.
3. Add water to a large skillet, filling two-thirds full; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer. Break eggs into each of 4 (6-ounce) custard cups coated with cooking spray. Place custard cups in simmering water in pan. Cover pan; cook 10 minutes. Remove custard cups from water, and carefully remove eggs from cups. Arrange 1 egg over each serving, and drizzle with about 1 tablespoon dressing. Sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon chives, if desired.
*slightly adapted from Cooking Light