This delicious recipe for Chicken, Green Chile and Potato Pie will become a family favorite!
Last month I received an email from Cassie, a reader:
A few months back I made your Chicken and Green Chile Potato Pie recipe. It was fantastic! I went to your site today to get the recipe so that I could make it again and it was gone. Is there a way I can get/find the recipe?
I’d lost a handful of recipes some time ago due to a technical glitch during a site redesign (something I did on my end). Most were easily recreated but there were a few I hadn’t had the chance to get to. I love hearing from people who have tried and loved my recipes – it’s what I love more than anything else about writing a food blog – so I really wanted to get this potato pie recipe up and running.
This simple savory pie comes together much quicker than you might think. Of course, I use a prepared pie crust and other easy ingredients like a rotisserie chicken (or I’ll make chicken stock and use the meat from that if I’m not short on time), canned chiles (although nothing beats roasting your own) and even a bag of sliced Simply Potatoes if I’m really short on time (although slicing two potatoes only takes a couple of minutes). It would make an AWESOME dish for Thanksgiving leftovers, too – turkey would definitely work here. I always seem to crave something with a bit of spice after Thanksgiving and this potato pie really fits the bill.
I’m so grateful to Cassie for reminding me how much I love this easy recipe; I had forgotten it with all of the other recipes swimming around in my head :) I’m always open to requests so please feel free to leave me a comment or send an email anytime, even just with questions or to say hello! And try this Chicken, Green Chile and Potato Pie, would ya’? You’ll be glad you did!
- 1 package unbaked pie shells (2 pie shells total)
- 5 eggs (four whole eggs and one yolk, reserve egg white from fifth egg)
- 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled and chopped (or 2 cans diced green chiles)
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced very thin
- 2-3 cups cooked, shredded chicken (rotisserie works great for this)
- 2 cups shredded mexican-blend or cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Beat eggs in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Whisk in cream and milk. Add green chiles, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Place one pie crust in the bottom and up the sides of a pie pan. Add potatoes in one flat layer, then chicken and cheese. Pour chile-egg mixture carefully over the top (the pie pan will be very full), taking care to ensure that the green chiles are spread evenly over the top.
- Top with second pie crust (a lattice style is easy and looks pretty) and brush with reserved egg white. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until egg and potatoes are cooked through (top with foil halfway through baking if crust gets too browned).
- Allow pie to cool for 15 minutes, then cut into pieces and serve.