This Better For You Broccoli Soup is made with protein rich soy milk and lots of fresh, healthy broccoli. The best part is that it tastes amazing!
I have another delicious soup recipe for you! You’ve already seen my easy, cheesy roasted broccoli soup and hopefully have tried it by now. I love that recipe and it’s a treat to enjoy, but the downside is that it’s made with heavy cream and loads of cheese; a wonderful comfort food but certainly not as good for you as it could be.
This Better for You Broccoli Soup has loads of flavor but is rich in protein and good-for-you fresh broccoli. You know my trick to using tofu instead of cream in my soups, but this time I used soy milk in place of dairy milk and it is DELICIOUS.
Soy milk is rich in protein so I like to enjoy a bowl before I go running – it really helps keep me going (along with some good tunes, of course). You can also use regular dairy milk or even almond milk – all will be delicious!
Another reason this soup is better for you is that I used two entire large heads of broccoli to really up the vegetable serving ante. Simmer one head of broccoli florets with a few simple ingredients, puree it, season to taste then add another head of broccoli florets.
You’ll have a flavorful, creamy broccoli soup (and you can stop there and enjoy it as is) with crisp-tender broccoli florets that will not only add even more health benefits but a wonderful texture, too. Feel free to add a bit of shredded parmesan or cheddar to it if you like – I won’t tell!
More delicious soup recipes:
- Wild Mushroom Brie Soup with Parmesan-Pepper Croutons
- Black Bean Soup with Fresh Summer Corn
- Chicken Tortilla Soup with Hatch Chiles
- Lobster Bisque with Old Bay Oyster Crackers
- Lentil Soup Recipe with Parmesan and Smoked Sausage
Better For You Broccoli Soup
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, can use butter if preferred
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 32 ounce container low-sodium chicken broth, 4 cups
- 2 large heads broccoli, florets removed, you can discard stems; about two pounds
- 2 cups milk, dairy, soy or almond all work well
- kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- shredded parmesan or cheddar, for topping (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion and sauté until soft and translucent, about five minutes. Add minced garlic and cook another minute or two. Add chicken broth and half of broccoli florets. Simmer, covered, at least 20 minutes and up to one hour.
- Add Silk Soymilk to pot. Puree mixture with a hand blender or in batches in a high-powered regular blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add remaining broccoli florets and simmer until crisp-tender, about another 15 minutes.
- Serve soup as is or top with shredded parmesan or stir in a little shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.
- 15 Minute New England Clam Chowder - March 27, 2023
- Seasoned Oyster Crackers with Old Bay - March 27, 2023
- Easy Avocado Egg Bake - March 22, 2023
Tuesday 26th of May 2015
Love broccoli! Rarely use it in a soup for some reason, however. Definitely need to make this -- tons of flavor, and really great ingredient list. This recipe rocks! Thanks so much.
Wednesday 17th of June 2015
Thanks so much, John!