Don’t bother with over-processed, shelf-stable “cheese” – you can make your own Velveeta with just four ingredients!
I have a weird thing going on with Velveeta. I love the idea of Velveeta – a shelf-stable “cheese” that melts to a heavenly texture so that dips and casseroles are just minutes away at any given time. But it’s just kind of gross; it doesn’t seem like real food to me. It ISN’T real food, not the kind of food we should be eating, anyway. Yes, I’ve indulged in that cheesy hot Velveeta Sausage Dip at football parties, too, and I keep going back to the dip bowl to scoop up more – it’s addictive, that Velveeta dip!! Still, there’s an off-flavor that only comes from a “food” that’s so processed I’d confidently take it down into a bomb shelter and seal the door.
I was skeptical that it would be this easy to make homemade Velveeta AND that it would have the same texture with vastly better flavor. But you know what? It’s a breeze and the the end result is just what you want – a block of real cheese that melts just as well as Velveeta and tastes so. much. better!! I typically use cheddar but I’ve also used a mexican-blend cheese and swiss, too, all with great results. I love that I can use any flavor of cheese that I may need for different recipes. And it keeps for up to a month in the refrigerator so you can make it well in advance of any parties you may have coming up!
This homemade Velveeta uses just four ingredients: water (can we even count that as an ingredient?), unflavored gelatin, a little powdered milk and shredded cheese. That’s it! It literally takes just minutes to throw together then just refrigerate it until it’s firm. Mine usually firms up very quickly, even as I’m spreading it in the pan before cooling. I haven’t tried it, but I think you could probably use it right away if it firms up enough. I know one thing: I can finally make that Velveeta Sausage Dip myself – and feel good about it!
- 1/4 ounce packet unflavored gelatin
- 6 tablespoons powdered milk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 pound 16 ounces shredded cheese
- Line a loaf pan (any pan will do, it will just be a different shape) with saran wrap.
- Put gelatin and powdered milk into a blender. Add boiling water and process immediately until smooth. Add cheese and continue blending until mixture is very smooth.
- Pour mixture into pan and smooth out with a spatula. Cover with more saran wrap then refrigerate until firm.
- Use in your favorite recipes that call for Velveeta!
Original recipe from Michael Symon.