Chimichurri sauce is an easy way to transform any number of dishes from boring to fantastic. Check out 20 delicious ways to use it below.
We enjoy this flavorful sauce all year long. If you’ve wondered how to make chimichurri or even just want to find out what it is, you’ve come to the right place.
WHAT IS CHIMICHURRI?
Chimichurri is an Argentinian sauce and condiment that Argentinian’s put on just about everything. It’s filled with flavor and a wonderful acidic tang that can really bring a dish to life. It can also be used as a marinade. I make it most often in the summertime when fresh herbs are everywhere but it’s delicious anytime, on and in almost any dish you can come up with. It’s most commonly used to top grilled steak, however, which is another reason it’s perfect for summer barbecues.
IS CHIMICHURRI SAUCE SPICY?
Chimichurri is typically not a spicy condiment, however, it’s an easy sauce to spice up if that’s your thing. In my garden this year I’m growing “hot and spicy” oregano and I used some in this chimichurri sauce. I highly suggest trying it if you get the chance, but if you’d prefer to use regular oregano just add a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes for a little heat. It has so much flavor that you won’t miss the heat if you’re cooking for a crowd and want to keep it mild so everyone can enjoy.
HOW TO MAKE CHIMICHURRI SAUCE?
Part of what makes this flavorful condiment such a wonderful choice to make at home is because of how simple it is to make. There’s no cooking involved, just throw a handful of ingredients into a high-powered blender and let it go on high speed until it’s very smooth. That’s it! Like many sauces, it’s best when allowed some time to sit for the flavors to develop. You can use it right away, but keep this in mind when planning your meal.
This sauce is fantastic in so many dishes and I’ve given you some great ideas in the graphic below. I would love to hear your uses for it, too, so don’t hesitate to share in the comment section after the recipe. See below for the recipe and also 20 ways to use it!
MORE CHIMICHURRI RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE:
- Steak & Potatoes with Fresh Summer Vegetables
- Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Smoked Mozzarella
- Cedar Plank Grilled Salmon
- Grilled Steak and Potato Kabobs
- Shrimp Skewers
how to make chimichurri sauce
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup hot & spicy fresh oregano leaves (or regular with a large pinch of red pepper flakes)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients into a high-powered blender and blend until very smooth. Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld. Use as desired.