No canned soup. No draining potatoes. So simple and flavorful. Instant Pot Potato Soup is the best thing you’ll make in your pressure cooker!
The first time I shared this potato soup recipe, people went crazy for it. Everyone who makes it, loves it, and there are plenty of comments to support that. But turning it into Instant Pot Potato Soup makes it even better!
What makes this Instant Pot Potato Soup so great is that you don’t have to cook the potatoes then drain them. No baking, no draining, no hassle. Just toss the potatoes and broth into the pot, mash them up, add the rest of the ingredients. DONE.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I’ll earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
I’ve made this soup more times than I can count, and it used to be made on the stovetop (which is also a simple method). Once I had an Instant Pot, however, it became even easier and now I always make it this way.
Don’t miss my Instant Pot cookbooks (and the upcoming Weeknight Keto)!
It’s also so easy to tailor it to your personal tastes. Add more or less cheese, leave out the bacon (not sure why you’d do that, but hey, it’s your choice!) or spice it up with some chipotle peppers or jalapeños.
In the followup to my cookbook, Weeknight Cooking with your Instant Pot, I recreate this recipe but I add andouille sausage, too. Any kind of sausage can be used, though, and you can replace the bacon with it if you like.
But this Instant Pot Potato Soup stands on its own. It’s cheesy and creamy, just like a good potato soup should be. Just be sure to season it well, as that makes all the difference!
HOW TO MAKE POTATO SOUP IN THE INSTANT POT?
It’s so incredibly simple to make a flavorful, creamy potato soup in your Instant Pot. Crisp the bacon on the saute setting, then set it aside. Saute your onion right in the rendered bacon fat, add a little flour and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook and mash – that’s it!
Don’t miss these Bestselling Instant Pot Accessories!
- 1/2 lb bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium onion,, chopped
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 32-oz container low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 lb red potatoes,, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups whole milk
- Press “Saute” to preheat your Instant Pot. When the word “hot” appears on the display, add the bacon. Cook until the bacon is browned and crispy, then remove it with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels to drain excess grease. Add the onion to the drippings in the pot and cook until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the flour and cook for 1 more minute, stirring constantly. Turn off the IP and remove the insert to stop the cooking process. Add the chicken broth, taking care to scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the potatoes to the pot. Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Press “Manual” and immediately adjust the timer to 20 minutes. Check that the cooking pressure is on “high” and that the release valve is set to “Sealing”.
- When the time is up, open the IP using “Quick Pressure Release”. Using a potato masher or something similar, crush potatoes to thicken soup, leaving some chunks but allowing some to "melt" into the soup. Press “cancel” then press “saute”. Add the cheese and milk, stirring until cheese is completely melted and incorporated. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Mix the bacon back into the soup or use it to top each bowl (or a little of both).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 697mgCarbohydrates: 42gNet Carbohydrates: 39gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 23g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.
More delicious soup recipes:
- Lobster Bisque with Old Bay Oyster Crackers
- Lentil Soup Recipe with Parmesan and Smoked Sausage
- Chicken Tortilla Soup with Hatch Chiles
- Avgolemono Soup
- 6-Ingredient Italian Sausage Stew
Last update on 2020-05-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API