If you’ve ever wondered how to make Baked Ziti with Sausage, this is the recipe for you! SO simple and extra-creamy – watch the quick video tutorial or just jump in for the recipe!
Hey all! How’s the weather where you are? We had a 60-degree day here yesterday and today it’s back in the low 40’s with no sign of warmth to come. They’re even calling for snow this Friday so it’s going to be a hunker-down and hibernate kind of weekend! But I love those hibernating kind of days so I’ll be perfectly content. I know we’ll need some good comfort food and this easy Baked Ziti with Sausage is perfect for that!
If you’ve wondered how to make Baked Ziti and just haven’t taken the plunge, this easy recipe is for you. I do mine practically all in one pan (only the pasta is cooked separately). If you have an oven-safe skillet that’s big enough to hold it all, I highly suggest doing it this way. Less cleanup = more time for fun!
My Baked Ziti with Sausage recipe is slightly different than most I’ve tried as I add a few unconventional ingredients to make it creamy and rich. Cream cheese and sour cream are mixed with whole-milk ricotta which is spread over the tomato, sausage & pasta base then it’s all topped with ooey-gooey mozzarella cheese and a sprinkling of parsley. You can use homemade or store-bought spaghetti sauce; I also add a can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes for a lovely texture and a flavor that can’t be beat. I looove the fire-roasted flavor!
Want to see how to make Baked Ziti with Sausage first-hand? This is the pan I made just a few days ago. I’m planning another party for our “Better Call Saul” monthly marathon (gotta love those DVR’s!) and this Baked Ziti is PERFECT for my crowd!
How to make Baked Ziti with SausagePrint
- 16 ounces ziti pasta dry
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 2-4 garlic cloves minced (optional)
- 2 jars spaghetti sauce about 52 ounces total
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 16- ounce container whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 8- ounce package cream cheese very soft
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook ziti according to package directions until JUST al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and, when heated, add chopped onions. Cook two minutes, stirring occasionally. Add ground beef and sausage; cook until no pink remains. Add garlic, cook two minutes. Add spaghetti sauce and tomatoes, stir and cover. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Mix together cream cheese, ricotta cheese and sour cream (don't worry if it's not completely combined). Stir in parmesan, salt and pepper.
- If skillet is oven-proof and large enough, leave spaghetti mixture in pan, otherwise transfer to a greased 13x9 inch baking dish. Add cooked pasta and stir well to combine. Top with ricotta mixture, spreading it out to cover (it's okay if it mixes in a little with the pasta). Top all with shredded mozzarella. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until bubbling hot and cheese is starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.